Summer Music Programs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eoliver, Jan 18, 2005.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey Everybody,

I was wondering how many people were planning on attending Summer Music Programs this summer, and which ones they were planning on going to. I'm trying to find a good one for me. It's especially difficult to find one that college level students can attend, not just work at (since I just turned the ripe old age of 23). Right now I know of the Henry Mancini Institute and Music Academy of the West. What else is there? Especially ones with big jazz programs.

Where are you all going (besides marching band camp!)? ;-)

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  3. chris jankowski

chris jankowski New Friend

May 29, 2004
  4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    There is the Skidmore (Skid-something) jazz festival every summer.

Then there is Interlochen, Brevard, and Swanee. Real prestigous summer programs, that look real good on a trumpeter's accomplishments sheet...

Van

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    If it wasn't at that time of year, I'd do it. Unfortunately, it is. I'd love to attend just to learn, and also to see Bamff (I know, spelling sucks, sue me). I've heard it's beautiful up there.

7. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I did Interlochen in the summer of 99, but now can only work there. Also, I heard that the camp is only 6 weeks long now. Can anyone confirm this? When I went it was 8. It was an amazing camp, and a great experience. I sent in my application to the Mancini institute, so hopefully that will work out for me. Thanks,

8. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm going to try to get into the University of Iowa's All-State summer program. I would really have a ball there!

Lara

9. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, I was told by my instructor this week that the deadline for the camps I was interested in had passed around a month ago. :x

Eoliver, what piece did you send in for the audition tape at Interlochen?

Van

10. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I sent in the Haydn, played on my teacher's (Doug Carlsen) Eb. We recorded in a big church on DAT. MD hadn't really taken off yet.

For Mancini we have to play the Kennan Sonata.