summer practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alee55520, Jun 10, 2009.

1. alee55520

alee55520 New Friend

Oct 18, 2008
    I play cornet in my high school band. Since it's summer time now, I don't have much to practice except for next year's field show music. Does anyone know a really good book for practicing technique? I want to try and get first chair this year. Thanks

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Arban's, The Real Book, H.L. Clarke Technical Studies, etc...and many more! Try doing a search on google, you'll find a whole bunch

3. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Like he said. Pick up an Arban's book and grab a book of solos or something so you have something to keep yourself busy with.

4. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    See if you can't pick up your all-district auditions for next year. If you make it, it will help boost you towards first chair in concert bands, as well as look good on a college application.

5. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The best thing would be to take private lessons. Think beyond band music. The Arban's is a good start, but there are other things in addition to that. A good warm up routine, working on extending range, improving timing and endurance, sight reading, etc. The Clarke's Technical Studies book is also a great way to cover a lot of playing issues.

Even if you take one lesson from a reputable trumpet teacher, this can set you up for the entire summer, to focus on improvement.

Pete

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Go to your church, borrow a hymnbook and play through the whole thing. Take the melody up an octave if you have the chops.

Learn your major and minor scales

Practice double and triple tonguing

There is ALWAYS something to do. If you don't see it, maybe trumpet is the wrong instrument.........

7. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Best ideas for summer practice :

Summer Practice, 2002

Now, get to it !!

tedh1951 likes this.
  8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    The Arban and Salvation Army Hymn book! Loads of great stuff in both of these books. However, it does require a concentrated, disciplined approach to get the best out of these. Just bashing through them will get you no where. Most trumpet playing teenagers (yourself excluded of course;) think that it is easy to play hymn tunes or the first exercise of the Arban, but i assure you as one who has been playing for 18 years, that it is always difficult to play this stuff beautifully unless you keep on top of the basics.
    Here is a few things to think about when you are practising this stuff

Practise with a metronome!
    Note lengths: Don't be robbing the long or short notes of their true rhythmical value e.g. playing a 4 beat note for 3 3/4 beats.

Relaxed deep breaths

Relaxed tongue: One that doesn't do acrobatics inside your mouth. Ideally small, consistent movements for each type of articulation e.g. staccato, legato, accented.

Playing it using dynamics: I find playing hymns staccato at pp in all registers very good for developing the start of a note, or loud with a fast accented tongue.

Playing 3 verses at 80bpm at mp-mf without taking the mouthpiece off your lips.

It is never about what you practice. It is how you practice it that is important. Just by playing double tonguing or triple tonguing exercises doesn't mean that you will necessarily improve at it. In many respects there is value in practicing anything as long as it is done properly with an aim in mind.

Now here is an idea for a thread. 101 ways to practice a hymn. I bet can it easily be done.

Cheers

B.U.M.