Summer Trumpet Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 19, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So most of us are getting ready for some vacation time. Most of us have been playing consistently since September last year and could use a break.

My playing season ends in 4 weeks and then I have 3 weeks with no gigs.
    I am going to concentrate on my natural trumpet during that time - especially articulation.

What are you all looking at doing for the next 8 weeks?

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I will be concentrating on improving my 4th and 5th transpositions as related to my newly aquired Eb horn.

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I am reviewing and reworking the Arban Characteristic studies

4. mcstock

mcstock New Friend

Aug 15, 2005
    Norman OK
    I'm gearing up for a lecture-recital in two weeks. After that I'm going to spend some time relaxing by playing along by ear with a couple CDs, "Unforgettably Doc" and "Lullabies and Goodnight," (also by Doc).

Matt

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm going to the beach for a week, not taking a horn, mouthpiece, or anything else trumpet-related. I have a few light gigs this Summer, like a few park concerts, a church concert or two, and an out of town patriotic concert on the 4th of July. I'll just do some maintenance-type practicing most of the Summer, and will be working on developing the use of a true period mouthpiece on my 1870's cornet. I'll probably be practicing and playing some sort of cornet most of the Summer...the trumpets will get a break.

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Summer routine? hah, I wish I had time to get in a good routine.

I am doing anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day playing principal...ouch! I am playing in the Academy (Conducting) Orchestra out here in Aspen for about 8 more weeks, and we just play tons of rep. Great education for me, but it is a lot of chop busting work. Get to read Mahler 4 next week though :cool:

I still try to get all of my fundamentals in throughout the day, but might have to start waking up really early to get a good routine in.

7. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    On rowuks advice, its back to basics. Playin gigs and workin on it.