Summertime

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChopsGone, Aug 4, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I know the feeling, eight hours in that. I've moving more south, from hot and dry to hot and humid...ugh

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Chops gone, I imagine today's band camp and our "summer band" were just about the same. Imagine they added the band camp label so they could charge me $225 for my kid to attend. Thirty plus years ago when I worked 3 years directing with HS we were not paid any extra for the weeks we put in during the summer. Knew it had to be done so we did it. Today, director's (or the Band boosters) charge for the summer camp so the director and others that come in get paid.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's what I'M hoping! Something about that fourth valve that says "no more pre-mature articulations".

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm not sure. When I was in high school, we had marching practice for a few hours a day for a period of a month or less. It still left us time to work at our summer or regular jobs. (OK, I graduated in 1959, so things were sort of different then. My first great horn was a 1951 Olds Recording cornet I bought new - at the age of 12, with money I'd earned from working. Things have changed a bit.) My granddaughter's doing a two-week band camp, and it's 0700 - 1600 every day. From what I hear, they run a couple of laps, march for a couple of hours, have breakfast, and go back out and march until lunchtime. After lunch, it's sectionals, line sectionals, and full band, all inside and concentrating on the music rather than marching. Then back out to march again for the last half-hour or so of the day. But they're doing all of this at the school, and the fee is very low (ours was free). A real "band camp" would add a different location and jack up the price.
    The total effort expended probably works out somewhere near the same, but they're certainly having to cram it into a shorter time period than I remember. Of course, what passes for marching, like what passes for music, is also quite different since the DCA influence became so pervasive. But it's probably as much work as the close-order drills and formation work we used to do.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    IMHO DCI saved marching band, we play hard shows and do even harder drill.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Same here. We also had summer band. Every morning for 5 weeks. Lots of great memories.

Mike

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Chopsgone, Back in the 70s we had the kids there all day for two weeks. We ran things about like your granddaughter's camp. My son's is similar, except they give them an hour off for lunch. Runs from 8-4. Think most schools here in AL are about the same. One thing that is different is we had the kidson a grass field in my day. My son's school uses an asphalt parking lot for marching. Imagine what it is like in AL when te temp was 99 Friday- and you are on asphalt. Ugh.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We had 2 weeks of camp, girls, and woods. Lots of great memories.

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    My captive audience are late night drunks. They tip well. They think I'm Louis Armstrong...Sometimes they are mean violent drunks and tell me to shut up. Lately busking after midnight has had the authorities called...They have a serious vendetta against late night horn playing. Oddly enough the staggering ones who get into the automobiles get away...

But me...they threaten my livelyhood. I mean I was making over 10$ an hour and the law had to force me to throw in the towel...

LOL "hey we had complaints from you before didn't we"

"I take the fifth"

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I think that you were a dirty ole man at an early age, like I was up at Interlochen in the summers of 1953&4. Lotsa fun and lotsa great musical education. I wish that I were physically able to do it at least once more.

OLDLOU>>