Sunburn blisters on lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 1, 2016.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    We've had some fabulous weather recently (perhaps not so fabulous if you're in a bushfire-prone area) and so one day I headed out on a 90km ride to a nearby town. But I forgot to use sunscreen and came home after about 5 hours rather redder than is probably good for me. I'm not so worried about my arms/legs/neck but that my lips dried out and have developed cracks and some blisters.
    I've used some vitamin E cream, lanolin (wool fat), some aloe vera gel and some paw-paw ointment over the last couple of days, and have kept my water intake up, but the blisters aren't yet receding, and when I play it feels very strange.

I wonder if anybody has some advice or useful observations regarding sunburnt lips? I have a church session on Sunday and am wondering if I should pull out.

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
  3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I agree that you just need to rest the chops for a few days and let them heal up. I found regular Blistex isn't that good when you were going to continue to be in the sun ... BUT they make a great product called Deep Renewal, found at most grocery and pharmacy stores in the States (hope you can get it there), that has a sunscreen in it + will make your chops feel great. Not sure about the 'anti-aging' description, but it is a very creamy moisturizer that works great to me.

4. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
    I think sun blisters are pretty much the same as cold sores; maybe one of our in-house doctors could confirm this. In the past, I have found a product called Abreva works very well to speed the healing.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks folks - I went to the chemist shop but all I could find there was what I already had. That seems to be working but I've pulled out of playing tomorrow - though healing, the blister has left a kind of scar surface (which will improve I'm sure) which isn't resonating properly - too airy/fuzzy, poor feedback, and is restricting my range (only to D in staff is comfortable, though with pressure I'm reaching D an octave higher but the sound quality is rubbish).

At least I know I'm sure to be playing better during the year than I did when I started it!

--bumblebee