Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I read somewhere that the auto-tune was being used for the halftime show! MAN!! How bad would they have sounded w/o it??!! I am sure some sound person(s) lost thier job over this one. The Tron-like light show was cool. Pop singers should be banned from singing the National Anthem unless they sign a "Will Not Butcher" clause with the penalty being a multi-million dollar fine! My opinion, the National Anthem should always be done in concert Ab and by some type of band (at the Super Bowl).:-)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gzent says: "What passes for pop / rock music these days is mostly garbage - or remakes of
    old classics."

Especially the young female pop singers today ..... Most of them can't sing.

Those of us who grew up on Aretha Franklin, Linda Ronstadt, Dionne Warwick, Joni Mitchell and the like (just to name a few) are not easily impressed.:thumbdown:

Turtle

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Not to mention Pat Benatar, Ann Wilson or Grace Slick!

Somewhere in the 90's rock singers no longer needed the ability to sing to be popular - odd.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad worked with Pat Benatar before she hit the big-time and said she had a decent voice. He leaves the room now when female "singers" do the National Anthem. Somebody needs to remind these narcissist it's not about them! Lotsa luck with that!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think what some of you guys are mistaking is your opinion of the stylings used with whether or not the girl has real talent and ability. Christina has it, and she's got loads of it. I think if she hadn't bobbled the lyrics so badly people wouldn't be complaining as much. I thought she was over-doing it too, but rest assured, that girl has awesome vocal chops.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've only heard her sing live once and that was the Superbowl, which was some horrible
    singing. I've heard her do a fine job on her recordings, but those were recordings which have unknown hours of "corrections" before we ever hear them.

My guess is she is mediocre at best when singing without a mic or a rack full of expensive electronic gadgets. Then again, who cares, her songs are garbage.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I haven't heard a "young" female singer that isn't over the top. Best female singer I've heard recently is Melissa Doolittle. Period! You won't hear about her much because she doesn't have the sex appeal and isn't willing to act/dress like a whore to sell records. SHE has a voice that doesn't need auto-tune.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posted this on NFL.com under one of their video of Christina singing the National Anthem.

Dear NFL,

If you're going to have a halftime show please hire real musicians and singers. Keep the over-produced, over-dubbed, over-hyped, over-inflated artist in the studios and dance clubs where they belong. Slash sounded great but the rest of it was a joke. The first disaster was when Christina sung the national anthem. She has sung this song many times and has no excuse for forgetting the words. Her breath support was poor and raspy. I think some of these singers focus too much on screaming the notes and not clearly singing the composer's words. What ever happened to professionalism? Christina, it's not a concert to your fans so just sing the song as written in respect of what it represents. The Black Eyed Peas and their Romper Room lyrics and singing style were terrible. When they need glow in the dark dancers along with people mimicking fake instruments as an addition (distraction) to the singers, that is a problem. I was watching the game in a public place and everyone wanted it to end as much as I did. They even shouted at the flat panel TV's for it to end. A couple of years ago Prince played the halftime show and even though it was raining, he didn't miss a beat or note while playing his guitar in the rain in high heel boots. This must be the difference between a perfectionist and so called performers. Give me a talented musician playing his instrument over these spectacles anytime. It was an excellent game, a nail bitter until the last 50 seconds of the game. NFL we don't need these over-hyped, over-inflated, over-produced, over-dubbed halftime shows by over-hyped, over-inflated, over-produced, over-dubbed so called artists in order to enjoy the most watched game of the year.

Sincerely,

Robert

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can't say it much better than that!:thumbsup:

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I forgot about the puppy bowl on animal planet until after the game, otherwise that would have been my halftime show.

Heck, why not just pay Doritos to produce something funny to watch for 20 minutes instead since they seem to have more amusing material than any of the recent halftime performers?