Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Gee, why didn't the writer just say how he felt:lol::roll:

However, I do agree with him. Most of the young "singers" aren't all that. It's mostly percussion and "moves":thumbdown: Whatever the youngsters will spend on.

As for the SSB, sometimes it's best to go straight/legit, and give our National Anthem it's proper due..............Buck:oops:

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I kind of liked the half time show. I'm not talking about the musicianship. The theme of the show appealed to my inner flower child.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I heard her live when she was singing and being backed by a gospel choir, and her performance was incredible. The Superbowl might not have been her best night, but she's about as good as they come for pop singers. This is a quote from Wikipedia regarding her vocals:

I'd agree to the oversinging part of that - she does tend to go a little over the top sometimes, but mainly because she can.

Something else that should be considered is the temperature - wasn't it abnormally cold for Dallas? The cold affects singers much like it affects brass players and it makes things much more difficult.

Well, at least we know she wasn't lip-synching. :D

And who keeps referring to her as a child? She's 30 years old, is married and has a son.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, she is young enough to be a lot of TM'ers child. :-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah man, I can dig it. It was kinda groovy! The singing was a drag though. Hang loose my brother. Peace out.

6. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I agree that the Super Bowl half-time was super garbage. I had an advantage over people who were actually there; I could shut it off. I flipped over to a jazz music station on cable until the cacophony ceased. I'm glad I tuned in late and missed the National Anthem. I agree that with today's pop singers, especially the females, all the talent seems to reside in the recording technicians.

And while on the subject of football and music, what happened to showing the college bands during televised collegiate games? As a University of Tennessee alum I enjoyed watching the Pride of the Southland Band running its circle drills and thrilled to the trumpet descant in the Alma Mater when halftime was televised. Now we just get a bunch of talking heads and former players shouting at each other as they armchair coach & quarterback.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sheesh! This thread is interesting in that it exposes a lot of folks who for one wouldn't know a good singer from a bad singer, or a good singer having an off night, and they are really quick to judge when none of them have been in the hot-seat themselves quite like that.

Raise of hands, how many people here have sung or played a solo, or even been part of a show at a stadium level event? I have, but only the old Capitol Center/USA Air Arena, which is not even close to the physical size or number of spectators, although I have played live and been broadcast live on the national news as well as CSPAN and CNN.

I had to sing the National Anthem once at a boxing event for club-level boxing out here and I almost bobbled the lyrics - it's interesting what nerves will do to you at the moment of truth.

It boggles my mind that I have to defend Christina Aguilera's abilities as a vocalist. I guess some of you wouldn't know a good singer if they walked up and smacked you in the forehead.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I never challenged her ability to sing. She is a seasoned professional who gets paid a truckload of money to perform. Now Rosanne Barr can't sing and doesn't get paid to sing but she at least remembered the words when she had to sing the National Anthem of our country at a televised event.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You might not have challenged her ability to sing, but others in this thread, who obviously don't know a good singer from a bad one, have.

As for the lyrics, have you ever sung the National Anthem solo and unaccompanied at a public event? Christina is not by far the first person to flub the lyrics. As an Army Bandsman I partook in a lot of events where someone just hacked the Anthem - shifting keys, wrong lyrics, cracked notes....I don't know if it's the pressure and nerves that do it, or if they were hacks to begin with, but having been in that position myself and having almost bobbled the lyrics to a song that I know pretty well, I think that it's just a nerves thing. I can totally believe the comment she made about getting caught up in the moment and she just lost her place.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

I play every week in front of 5-6 thousand folks (it's a big church) That's not 111 million plus, but I'm also not a pro, and make no pretense to be. I get the nerves thing. If Christina and other female singers who do the anthem would stop trying to emulate Whitney, the world would be a better place. It's the National Anthem. I for one don't care what ANY singer thinks they can do to spice it up. In my mind it is about honoring those that have served to keep this country free. It is tasteless and selfish to make the song about the singer. I don't care how many run's you can throw in there, it ain't about you! The more I think about it, the happier I am that she bombed! Maybe it will be a lesson to all the "singers" out there to sing it straight.