Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Feb 6, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I vote for going retro with the Superbowl just like they love to do all the time with the uniforms. They are trying so hard to "out do" the previous extravaganzas they've gone totally overboard. I'd love see a great band just playing great music.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Not that it's such a great song .... but it is meaningful for people in their own personal way. I've always thought that it was enough, for the moment, whatever that moment might be, to just sing it straight. Very few performers do this because the moment, for them, is about them, not about the song or the larger picture, the reason they're all attending the event.

There, I feel better.:lol:

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    IIRC, Lea Michelle from GLEE sang America The Beautiful during the pregame program. You haven't heard anything about that one. If I'da known she was going to do it, I would've watched.........Buck:oops:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't understand the problem. We have ultimate power over the television. It is called the off switch. If you use it, you may not know what the "twilights" last reaming was however.

I thought that this was all entertaining, not music, just entertainment. Maybe it would be a new business model to combine real music with sports. I am afraid that the television ANALysts just will never figure it out.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, that's a good perspective. There's also the "mute" button.

Turtle

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that it's possible there is a disconnect between the members in this thread and the rest of the population when it comes to the whole music/entertainment thing. The Superbowl halftime show panders to the masses, who for the most part wouldn't know good music if it jumped up and bit them on the....

On the other hand, we know the difference and get frustrated by what we consider to be banal garbage that gets passed off as "music." The media certainly doesn't help in this regard. They'll extoll the offerings of people like Sting or Lenny Kravitz as being pure musical genius, and completely gloss over or flat out ingnore people who are true musicians. The bottom line of course is money, and the bucks aren't with real music - the bucks are with whatever is going to work for the mindless masses out there who don't know any better or any different.

People have bashed on Christina a fair amount in this thread - maybe it's deserved, maybe it isn't, but I can tell you that the whole over-emoting and warbling all over the place is a product of years of her pandering to the massses who want to hear it. She's a much finer musician than that if she wants to be.

[\rant]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  7. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Christina is actually a very good vocalist, I have no idea what happened at the SB. She had been out of the lime light awhile and saw a resurgence with 'Burlesque,' but maybe she was so caught up in trying to wow people with the gymnastics she lost sight of musicality. It was quite awful.

As far as BEP, Will.I.Am is a great hook writer and producer. For what those songs are intended to be, VERY well produced dance tracks, they are great when you listen to the recordings. Musically though, they are very basic and don't translate to a live show, they try to pass themselves off as a 'band' and it, quite frankly, doesn't work. And I don't know why Fergie felt she needed to yell rather than sing, she has a good voice, too, when she actually sings.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Maybe Fergie didn't want to be "outdone" by Christina! ;-)

9. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I think Slash should do a full halftime show, with Myles Kennedys vocals. Both are great musicians, I think it would be a great halftime show. I love hearing Myles sing with Slash, he does so much with his voice, and he's so good at it. (plus Myles has roots in Jazz, back in his Citizen Swing days)

10. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Slash is actually here in Nashville next Wed with Ozzy! Now that would be entertaining.