Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supposeda3, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Even if they didn't play!;-)

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    The superbowl is all about selling products by means of capturing the largest possible viewing audience to see the commercials. That means star-power and whatever appeals to the largest possible cross-section of consumers.

Take a look at television and honestly answer the question, "how many quality shows are on compared to how many pseudo reality nonsense shows." The consumer typically wants to be entertained, not necessarily have a quality experience. As long as that is the case - and in my view it's getting worse, rather than better, you'll get what draws viewers which may or may not include a quality performance.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Late to the party, but....
    As far as Christina's rendition, I missed the lyrics foul up because I was talking to my four year old granddaughter at the time. The reason that I lost interest was that Christina's intonation problems caused me to lose interest. I have heard her do vocal acrobatics in recordings in the past, but on this night, she just didn't have it. I was already disappointed before she made the gaffe. As a singer as well as a player, I can only suppose that she was over-compensating for her pitch problems by "getting busy" in her interpretation. That would put her mind elsewhere than on the lyrics. The only thing the media picks up on is the missed lyrics, because that is the only thing they are qualified to evaluate. Pitch is beyond them and they just figure that new style singers are going to get "fancy." Pity.....

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Robert Goulet, May 25, 1965, Ali-Liston fight. Nerves even get to legends.

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    amzi, is there a recording of that!? would love to hear it. anyone ever hear Carl Lewis'(the track star) anthem snafu when he started it too high? oh my word.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Not that I know of--it was on a live radio/tv broadcast, but there may be some old newsreel footage of it floating around somewhere.

He is the reason artists fear the Star Spangled Banner. He was a respected singer, Grammy Award winning star on Broadway and his career became defined by missing one word when singing the National Anthem. He subsequently sang it many times flawlessly, but that one time defined him for a lot of people. Imagine the pressure of knowing that the next 2 minutes can define your career if you get it wrong--but if you get it right most people will never even remember.

7. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    There's always this one:

YouTube - carl lewis national anthem

8. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    I won't comment on style, as you may or may not like Christina's choice of music. I liken her to Arturo. Just look at the impassioned responses you get to his "musical gymnastics" from people here.

No amateur or poser, however, could do this...

or this...

She's still relatively young, and I get the impression she get's tired of the pop singers too, so she wants to go out every night and show "them" (whether other supposed singers or the uninformed audience) what a "real" singer can do.

I hope that one day she'll settle down and really explore the emotional side of musical performance. LeAnn Rimes has gone through a similar sort of struggle, and her more recent stuff is really starting to show some depth and emotional understanding. I really hope Christina won't pull a Mariah Carey and throw all her talent away.

Scatmanblues

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I guess you and I are saying the same thing - they are getting worse- which is why I said I vote for them going retro, which means back to basic good quality music without going overboard to outdo the last year. I didn't expect it to happen, just want them to do it.......I know what marketing is all about and the motives of TV. You are absolutely right, it's all about what sells the most product.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ive been following this thread. Very interesting opinions here. +1 to all of them! Best wishes.