Super Pan American Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ThatJuan, Dec 12, 2016.

1. ThatJuan

ThatJuan New Friend

Mar 27, 2016
    Do super pan americans sound good? My usual trumpet is broken, so I'm borrowing a regular student pan american from the school, and I think it sounds great. Do super pan american sound even better? I'm thinking of getting one soon. \

Thanks guys!

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Pan American was designed and costed as an entry level student line for Conn. Among the teachers I know who inherited them in school inventories they have a reputation for lasting forever, but typically sounding pretty bad (even when new). These were made cheaply enough to be sold for stencil to stores and small makers, but the fact that they sold so well suggests that they were not awful. My own experience is that the brand plays poorly, but you never know when you may come across a good one, or a great one.

In the end, nothing matters except how it works for you. The horn and the player, each unique, combine to either work well, or not. So, I don't think model is of much significance in this case, rather it is fit. You just have to try it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  3. ThatJuan

ThatJuan New Friend

Mar 27, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! Imo, vintage trumpets sound pretty good in general, but you made a good point.

Has anyone here had any experience with super pan americans, or pan americans in general?

4. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    There was an earlier thread on either here or the oTHer site about someone inquiring about the same horn. This "Super" Pan American is probably a rare "intermediate" trumpet as opposed to the regular Pan American student horn. I saw the pictures of it. a good mix of nickle silver and brass, it should play well.

5. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have a Pan American Trumpet from 1948. It seems to be a little quirky with the intonation with the 2nd and 3rd valves at the Eb, or the Ab above the staff. It is VERY flat and gets this unusual vibration. You really have to lip it up to keep from dropping the note and to get rid of the vibration. Other than that......;-)

6. ThatJuan

ThatJuan New Friend

Mar 27, 2016
  7. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    I figured you were talking about that one, just get a good repair tech for some of those dings and dents and this trumpet should play great. Not to mention it is quite rare.

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    IMHO, Conn came close to perfecting the student instrument with the Directors (especially the Coprions) and those blow the Pan American stuff away.

9. ThatJuan

ThatJuan New Friend

Mar 27, 2016
    So the trumpet arrived in the mail today - a great horn! Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to open the "lock" on the case, only to realize that it was just a fake one.

Were these super pan ams modeled after the 22B New York Symphony? I saw a listing on craigslist for one for about $800

10. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    No no no, the pan Americans were the old student line from what I learned and what you have in your hands is a pretty rare intermediate version. It looks good with that nickel silver on it. Probably plays pretty well too for the price.