Suprised by my 10 year Olds grasp of what matter's?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I played an Olds Ambassador with a bent bell for a while at school.

I didn't care. it still sounded better than the horn the school provided. It looks like a real old man's horn too. Love it

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well, you're not wrong with chinese valves.
    Those are made from very thin metal, so every cent its important for them (they are paid only few cents per month).
    Anyway, I preffer high grade steel valves, so my piston trumpets are provided of them. Those are much consistent and long lasting.
    The way to make by casting is not easy: much time consuming and more risk of undesired boubbles (very few, anyway). Trumpet making is not a great business, so you cannot make valves as Ferrari do for their cars (search on YouTube).
    Stock brass and steel tubes are prety easy to find, less time consuming with great quality. If something goes wrong on the lathe, you only have to get another tube and still working (brain engaged before, please !!!). The cost of the piece is not relevant. Only the time you spent.
    My valve maker has developed a system with no.dents inside pistons, so very soon I will make my first non-gap trumpet. That means that we could still working improving valves.
    For me, next step is lighter metals, such as aluminium... let me convince my valve-maker.
    BEST REAGARDS !!!

3. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Hey Lovevixen,

Not sure where you are in Michigan, but I have a good friend (Mark Metzler) that was a part owner in Blessing music that just started his own repair shop in the outskirts of Elkhart Indiana (just south of the border). You can find his info here.

I'm sure he could help you out...He specializes in small brass restoration (particularly trumpets and cornets). He does very good work.....

Brian

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd be less concerned about the multiple horns than the multiple mouthpieces. I'd rather see a student at that age work with one mouthpiece and develop a strong set of chops than have him switch around to 5 or 6 different ones to hear a different sound. I'd be concerned with developing bad habits at an early stage...

5. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    Daniel uses a #6 bach 95% of the time , but he has 9c 7c 7b 5b 3b and getzen ml. to try and mess around with .
    we read these posts together and learn a lot from them , at this point the most comfortable is the 6 bach and he can still play very well . so for now i trust his judgment .
    But soon he will get a teacher again, gives me a better piece of mind.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Glad to hear it. I've seen too many people drive themselves crazy and all but ruin their chops with constant mouthpiece changes. Sounds like your kid realizes the too much jumping aroung could be a bad thing. Best of luck.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    He decided last night that he was going to switch mouthpieces instead and keep his current trumpet. Just so you guy's know I did offer him it if he wanted it..... I have at least 7 different mouthpieces laying around so he went experimenting. He ended up chooseing a Jupiter 7C... It is not an exact copy though of a Bach 7C. The rim profile is a lot like a Bach 7C but the cup on his is more V like. It does not V in the classic sense like his Reynolds 7A it is more like a C cup at the top but as you move towards the throat it changes into a V like cup rather clearly on his Jupiter 7C. SO he is a happy camper again......I think he needs to do the pencil exercise truthfully. I do not think his problem is trumpetor mouth piece related but it made him feel better so their you go. I taught him the pencil exercise last night though as well. When he set's up his embourchure the way I tell him he hits all the notes just fine includeing "C" below the staff. WHen he does it his way he can not hit the "C"'s anyplace but the rest of his notes are spot on. So I am preety sure it is embourchure related.

I may not be a world class musician or even a decent teacher but so far I have been spot on helping him with basic things.... So hopefuly the added coaching will help him i n the long run by getting the basic's down right. He was also moveing his head around too much and as he moved his around to look at stuff while practiceing his trumpet and head where not tracking together so his embourchure was inconsistent. He has been useing a 7A consitently so this is really his first mouthpiece switch. He has tried many in the past but he always stuck with the 7A. I think the rim while a nice profile is just too small. The rim on a 7A Reynolds is not even a 1/4 inch wide so it might hot have been giveing him enough feedback.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I hve advocated before that you should contact Don Schneider at All Winds in Holt, Mi.. Don has a bell roller machine and does some really fine work. I speak from personal experience on this. He can make that Jupiter bell look and perform like new. He is also a VERY accomplished trumpet player and a nice guy.

[email protected] or 517-694-8441

OLDLOU>>

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Did you OldLou???? I think you just told me to talk to DOn and like I knew who Don was!!! Then you never mentioned it again!!!LOL I have been meaning to ask you about Don for a while!!! I just kept forgetting to. Well now I have the rest the information to go with what I recall went like this (paraphraseing OldLou) "John you know what you should do is give DOn a call he could roll that bell right out!!!" "Well I am turning in for the night talk to you latter John." LOL So I was like wow Don now how do I find out which "Don" ........LOL I figured sooner or later it would come up again in conversation or I would remember to ask you....It is all good OldLou and thank you very much for shareing! I will have to call him right now.ROFL

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    When did you get a King Super 20???? Those are awsome!!! I will trade youmy wife for it!LOL. The other night I was getting ready for bed and I was working on a trumpet earlier that I keep by my bed to play around with when I can not sleep. I just practice fingering my scales and such with it. So I was putting it away and locking the case and the wife turns and looks at me and says "No you can not put a picture of a trumpet above the bed or on the cieling!" I started laughitn so hard I almost coughed up a lung!!! My wife is as blonde as they come and she is a country girl through and through! THe things that she let's slip out of her mouth never stop amazeingme.......Do not get me wrong she not dumb by any stretch of the imagination but if you did not know her you might think she was because of the stuff she says at times!!!LOL

She calls my trumpet's my misstress's because they all have names. I explained to her many times that rifles,trumpet's,boats,airplanes and car's always have names and they are always female.