Surgical Emphysema (Gillespie Pounces)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, Nov 24, 2008.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I came across this abstract:

Bilateral laryngoceles in a young trumpet player: case report.

While I was looking for information for a friend whose daughter is suffering from puffing her cheeks out while playing. Whilst not wanting to frighten her it does seem to be a risk and I wonder if any of the teachers here have had students suffer this sort of damage from trumpet playing?

Buck Clayton suffered from it as well and had to have surgery for it in the end.

I notice that balloon modelers also suffer from it.

2. bmez

bmez New Friend

Nov 24, 2008
    Laryngoceles is puffing around the larynx(around the vocal chords) and you are usually born disposed (or not) to it. Especially in young players it wouldn't be something that would be caused by playing. Most evidence points to that it takes quite some time to cause to yourself.

While I don't believe in scaring kids to playing correct, there is a musical reason to why one should not puff any body part (well lungs and stomach) you play much better if you do it correctly :-).

That is usually good enough motivation to stop doing it for most players, it is also something that I believe should be focused upon over the first few years of playing. It will be really hard to let go of it if it's left to develop and the student gets used to playing that way.

Taking a hit in both range and stamina to change your technique is not a good motivational factor later on...

3. Donald trumpet

Donald trumpet New Friend

Jul 8, 2017
    Algonquin Illinois
    I have this situation with my cheeks and my throat but I play just fine

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Whenever I have seen this in students I remind them to hold their lips firmly together. When they do that their cheeks do not pop out.

richtom likes this.
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Really? I always wondered if I did that to myself in my earlier years playing. Moving up through middle school, I pushed a lot of air - particularly once I got to high school and started marching band and pep band where the whole goal was to play high, loud and brash.

I have known of a few pro players in the premier military bands in Washington DC who have had that problem, and in at least one case with a big band lead player, it was a career ending condition - things blew out to a point where they had to stop playing trumpet entirely. I'm guessing it's not that big of an issue for me because I'm not playing full time, and I'm not playing lead. I've never worried about it too much - if things ever get to where I can't play trumpet, I'll shift my efforts entirely to playing drums.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    A very good saxophone player/instructor at our school does that. I think he was born with it.