Sustaining My Solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LSN1052, Oct 7, 2009.

1. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    So its marching season, and I have 3 solos in this years show. The first two are fine and good. But the last one is at the end of the ballad. I have half note as follows: D_D_G_F# (top of staff)~~~~~~...

And i sustain that F# till the drummajor sees me turning purple (fermata), then i sustain it for 12 more counts... At least thats what is supposed to happen.

That last solo is supposed to just blair out nice and full. but everytime im standing there out of breath (from marching). and play the D_D_G perfect, but have nothing left to SUSTAIN the F#. so instead of falling off the note to the D#, i just fall down the octave to the F# (middle)... but i have more than enough air for that.

Do you have any tips, tricks, or practice routines to help me.
    I assume long tones in that range.

[For the users who constantly post the "NOT THIS AGAIN" pictures of that guy shaking his head... I searched for sustain and high notes with no results]

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why not take a big breath after the f# trill, then play the last note. No one should complain, and 12 counts played loudly can be a real long time in its own right.

3. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    I used to have problems sustaining high notes in high school. What I did the last two years of high school since I didn't figure this out beforehand, was be on the swim team. If you can't be on the swim team, do track. If you can't do either one, SWIM and RUN a LOT.

While you're swimming, practice your breathing. It's something that should be done like a bench press in a way. Start with only taking 3 breaths every 25 yds (one length of a lap swim) and do a bunch of those for the next couple days. When you feel like you're ready, try taking no more than 2 breaths for every 25 yds and do a bunch of those all day. After a couple days.... You get what I'm saying... Keep doing it until you can swim 25 yds with only that one breath. As for running, just do a lot of it each day lol I had a crazy swim instructor and eventually I could swim 75 yds on one breath and could play a double G my senior year of high school!!

What's your range like? If it's a range issue, get to where you're playing up at a high C comfortably all day long and your issues on the F' will be solved. However, if this is an endurance issue, just practice a lot and it will fix itself in time.

4. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Its probly actually a range issue, no C's yet, then a breathing issue. the F# isnt a trill either its just a sustained fermata forever. i add some vibrato though.

5. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Something I had trouble with was "choking" long notes in the upper register. I could play the notes fine but when required to sustain them...I would get really tense and close off my throat. Obviously this doesn't help sound as air is required to make the chops vibrate. If you find that you are really tense in your throat then you are probably trying to force out the sound and actually killing it. Try doing long tones that start in your comfortable register and move into the higher register, taking special care not to allow tension in your throat. Something to think about...the trumpet is made of metal (not elastic) and can only take a limited volume of air...pushing harder only makes the trumpet push back.

6. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Another wierd thing on one of the different solos at the beginning of the ballad...

Im playin it sounds great, i have plenty of air... but i guess i SUBCONCIOUSLY try to breath through my trumpet, like breathing underwater...

It creates like a hiccup sensation or choke... it doesnt really effect the sound coming out... but it feels wierd.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Considering that we're already into October I'd say that there are no "tricks" for you to employ at this point that would help.

I agree with VB, if it ain't working as written, then change it. Better to add a breath somewhere than run out of breath and sound like crap...

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    learn to circular breathe... ive been practicing it and have finally got it down... and its great... IF you can maintain the same tone as you had before you do it... however if your not already learning it... its pretty much to late...

9. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    I find that the best way to learn this is by making a pvc pipe didjeridu and then to learn it on there to get the concept of it first.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only way to sustain a note is to have enough air. You need to find a spot to take a BIG breath.
    Of course it helps if your chops turn that air into a lot of sound. That is accomplished by practicing softly A LOT! A LOT is measured in hours not minutes.

If the gig is worth it, you will find the time.