Sustaining My Solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LSN1052, Oct 7, 2009.

1. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Approaching the problem from a different way:

Three solos for one person in a single field show seems like a bit much to me. Is there the possibility of another trumpet player taking one of the solos? If so, perhaps you'll have enough juice for that sustained F#.

2. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Well sometimes for them the whole show is there solo cause im not playing :lol: ...

I play the important stuff which are the melodies and my solos. :thumbsup: :play: ;-)

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    huh... thats a weird concept... but whatever works...

4. LSN1052

LSN1052 New Friend

Sep 5, 2009
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    well it doesnt. i have enough chops to play everything. but not playing keeps me from getting out of breath when i get to the solos... whatever. thats not the discussion... its how to sustain that fermata... and ive heard AIR AIR AIR MOVE THE AIR from everybody on here and in school.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    No need to get testy. If you don't have the chops to play "everything" in a demanding show than it's wise not to blow your lip trying to do so. The demands of marching and playing are different on the lip than playing in a concert band or jazz band. Even in top drum corps lead players will coordinate with each other so that they can take an extra breath or lay out for a measure or two. If your director is OK with when/how much you play then it's fine.

At the end of the day air is your friend, and also the answer to the question.

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    It probably results in lost points. Not all field judges are clueless.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I would not play for a little bit before the solo. Then I would take a breath during the solo. On the last note I would play it FSZ and stay quiet for a while then without getting louder add a little vibrato then slowly crescendo. When you are at the volume the drum major is looking for add more vibrato.

The field judges will hear more than just a loud held note which will get you a better score and be more musical and help you hold the note.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There is way more to it than just more air. This isn't the question that you asked but, more air through the horn can be more volume but doesn't alwayse mean that.

More air = fill up big time. It doesn't mean exhale big time. The air makes the lips buzz and that sets up a wave that people hear. It's too complicated for me to explain. Mostly because I don't really get it.

I don't care what those people in marching band tell you. Don't over blow.
    Now you heard it here, on the forum. Print it and give it to the guy that says more air.

Think of it like this, The instructor is the fleet admiral. You are the captain. You command your trumpet. If you weren't a good player, you wouldn't have the solo. Use your head, don't kill yourself.

Here is one more thing off topic.
    Marching band teaches you very little. I'm not saying it has no value, just be careful and have fun.