Sustaining your lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Hi Manny, I need your help on something!

I have been playing the trumpet for around 6 years now, and a finding that am I am increasingly required to spend whole days playing the trumpet for various different orchestras. But I find that my lip just won't last all day long! By the end of the day its all I can do to get the A above the stave!

I know what the long term answer to this is: PRACTICE. I have raised my practicing substantially in the last year and have felt a vast improvement as a result, but my lip still tires.

What do you do (or did you do as I doubt this happens to a legend such as yourself anymore) to kip your lip in good enough condition to play the required part? Are there any products I could buy?

Thanks for your help,

Chris.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Chris,

For sure, you don't want to squander your lip in the warm-up. That happens a lot. May I suggest that you play more lightly for rehearsals whenever practical. When you play in performance pace yourself with the end in mind but don't obsess over it. The obsessions kill our endurance. Play ONE NOTE AT A TIME and go for the beauty of each note as part of a large phrase. As you tire, use more vibrato and play lighter. Let the sound spin out of your horn with a lighter-than-air energy. As you tire, the singer in your brain must take precedence over everything you do.

Good luck,

ML

3. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    "As you tire, the singer in your brain must take precedence over everything you do."

This is in my opinion absolutely wonderful advice that we can all benefit from.

Thanks Manny.

Spitty

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Dont forget the occasional rest period. A few minutes break will also do wonders for endurance. As H.L. Clarke would say "build up do not destroy."

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    - Fortune Cookie, ML's Kitchen

Seriously, good advice. (the entire post this quote was taken from was great advice, but I couldn't resist cutting it down for the fortune cookie..... :-) )

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In bed.

-cw-

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    LOLOL Chuck! ROFL