swab or soak?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pat S, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Trumpet cleaning time! I would love to hear your insights into cleaning technique. Do you swab out your lead pipe and valve casings with some manner of swab, or do you just soak the horn. What are you folks using for a cleaning solution? I'd heard that Simple Green is the best to use. Thanks for your help!

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I use a snake and some bottle brushes. Soaking may not be enough and if it is a lacquered horn and it soaks in hot water the lacquer will start to come off. Cleaning solution, dawn dish soap and warm water.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    what Cody said. Dawn is great. Even used to clean oil soaked birds. Make it fairly strong. Soak, then swab.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Another note, dont use a snake that has a metal tube. I use a plastic coated one so it will not scratch the inside of the leadpipe and make caverns for red rot to grow.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, back in the old days all they had was a coiled spring like metal wire with brushes on the end. I like he plastic now on some of them. Always wondered why they don't put more brush on them. Never feel like it is doing a good job scrubbing. If someone would double or triple the bristles, they ould be the top seller.

6. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    So do you snake the lead pipe, too?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Soak in Dawn then brush for me too, including the mouthpipe.

Tom

8. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I tear a little corner off a sponge then push that through the leadpipe with a snake brush. Works great. just something i discovered myself.

9. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Try the HW Brass-Saver brushes. H.W. Products, Inc.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I start by polishing the trumpet - if needed - or the salt/carb soda bath solution if necessary - then I put the silver trumpets in hot soapy water (a good squirt of Dawn, or equivalent - my choice is Palmolive 'cause that's what the cook buys for me to wash up with) and then let it soak until the temp begins to come off the water. Then I snake the entire airway including the leadpipe with a plastic cored snake. The valves of course are lying on the bench and they get cleaned seperately. Drain all the waste water - examine all the bits of junk that come out of the trumpet, and vow to clean more often. Then finish this stage with a very thorough rinse in clean warm water. I wipe the trumpet down and place it in a warm place to air dry for a couple of hours - usually overnight. Then a quick hand polish, re-lube, and reassembly - then a few favourite tunes to prove how much better the instrument sounds when clean. (Like washing and polishing the car makes it go faster.)

kingtrumpet likes this.