swab or soak?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pat S, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ++++++111111

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've written a paper on trumpet maintenance. It has a complete section on how to give a trumpet a bath. If you e mail me I'll be gald to send you a copy. [email protected]

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Absotively! That's the one place that needs it daily (assuming you practice daily ;-))!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Best $7 I've spent on cleaning supplies!

5. trumpetgoddess96

trumpetgoddess96 New Friend

Nov 23, 2011
    Hey, if you swab AND soak, you can always throw the snake and mouthpiece brush into the tub to get clean too...it's not so fun to clean your trumpet with something that's already dirty. It kind of defeats the purpose :-)

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    A mild detergent is recommended. I, however, use the Simple Green in a one part detergent to four parts water solution. I keep a tub with a sealed cover to keep the solution, as I clean a lot of horns. I usually let it soak for no more than 15 minutes and then brush and thoroughly rinse all parts and air dry them.

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    ive soaked in a CLR/water solution and it was GREAT!

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I saw a "Professional Trumpet Repair" internet site once that said that giving the trumpet a bath was BAD.
    ROFL

I like to snake my horns in mildly warm and soapy water, and the salt/soda bath (For my silver Conservatory)

I've had the Edwards for a few weeks now...hesitant to clean it...

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's an interesting hestitation Mark - I couldn't wait to get my new Harrelson into the tub when it arrived.

I've watched airplanes arrive from the manufacturer and build swarf was evident in lots of hidden places. My assumption was that a similar thing may have occurred with my trumpet - so it came out of the box - I played two tunes and then I bathed her.

I do the same with my motor cars - it allows a close examination of the product, allows me to start from toors with the lubrication and maintenance progamme I intend to employ, and it gets me intimately acquainted with the product I'm about to put against my mouth.

I also wash new clothes before I wear them - and I wear my dress socks (sox) inside out. Nothing strange about Ted.

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    All good points, sir Ted!
    With the brushed gold, and such a fine quality instrument, I just want to make sure I won't do anything to harm it first. Do a little research, you know. Wouldn't want my ignorance to affect how it plays :/