swab or soak?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pat S, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Rusty_Restorer

Rusty_Restorer Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have a Yammie kit. I am glad to see some one has a much better product to clean instruments with. Thanks!!!!!

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I've heard a lot of people on here say to remove the felts. I guess that's a good idea, but in the 20+ years of owning a Strad 37, I never removed the felts, corks, etc.. and haven't seen a problem. Are they supposed to deteriorate faster if they get wet or something?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It can change the thickness of the felts which effects the valve alignment. Misaligned valves can make a horn difficult to play.

4. Rusty_Restorer

Rusty_Restorer Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2012
    Atlanta
    As I understand it misaligned valves wear out faster due to the felt being beat down and flattened. So your $2-3 felts and cork that were not changed can turn your horn into wall art or you can spend big bucks getting the valves redone many years later in the instruments life. Neglect kills the usability and the resale value of your instrument. I have a bunch of old beater Olds horns from e-bay horns from the 50's, 60's and 70's were the previous owners did not care for the felts, corks and most likely did not clean them well. I see a lot of valve wear in them. So they have valve work in their future. It may not happen for a couple of years but it will happen. Considering a horn has a long effective life time if due care is given because of the materials used they can last centuries.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never heard or experienced that aspect of worn felts. I have several old horns with great compression but the felts were worn (or not there) and the vertical alignment was off and the horn played out of tune on certain notes. New felts = "New" horn.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I felt a new horn once -- and it more or less felt like any other trumpet!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Those look awesome. I can never seem to get all of the crap out of my leadpipe. I hope those can!

Also, does anybody know how I can get the rings off my main tuning slide right where it no longer touches the leadpipe?

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Scotchbrite - but be careful.

9. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    Probably not for the faint of heart but I did a full 10 minute soak in 10% muratic acid on my silver Meha and it came out beautiful. My wife had a flat low profile rubbermaid storage container from Ho Depo and it was 7 gal of water and 89 oz. of Muractic. I snaked good while rinsing well and it shined right up everywhere. I then polished it up with the 3m Polish. Looked so nice I dropped it into the eye candy section.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And/or a Blitz valve & slide cloth.