Sweeney Todd

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Oct 22, 2013.

1. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    So we start rehearsals for Sweeney Todd this week. I'm not sure of the instrumentation yet, but knowing our theater it will probably be minimal. I expect to double some of the horn parts on flugel. Anyone have any words of advise about playing this show? How difficult a book is it, is it a chop-buster, technically challenging, or what?

I've played West Side Story, The Full Monty, Les Mis, Hello Dolly, Legally Blond, and JC Superstar over the last few years.

Thanks in advance.

Harrelson Summit Bflat
    Harrelson Bravura Bflat
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugel
    Getzen 800 cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc
    Selmer Radial Bflat
    Conn Vintage One Bflat

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I would suspect that it will be a techinical challenge thinking of what Sondhiem normally comes up with (technical in terms of disonance and strange sounding harmony) but that is only based on listening to his music rather than any experience.

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Send a word to Wilmer Wise He played the show for years

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I played it in the spring.....bring something good to read and someone to count measures for you....it's a very boring trumpet book. If your a lead player this book
    will be painful. Although the music as a whole is good. Sondhiem wrote it, he definately has his own style, (by reading his music I would guess to say
    he has a dry sense of humor) not sure what that is but it's unique....like the musical.