swiss made trumpet: IS he using lead?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Sep 2, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
  2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Yes he is using molton lead inside the tubing to keep it from crimping when it is bent in the jig. Sometimes pitch is used, and sometimes it is soap water, which is then fast frozen inside the tubing. All for the same purpose.

OLDLOU>>

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Oh I see. That is way faster than freezing it over night. I got lots of lead and i have lots of experience with it. After he bends the tube, how does he get the lead out. Does he heat it with a torch again?

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, exactly.

You'll find in other industries - like making exhaust pipes - sometimes dry sand is used to stop the tube from flattening in the bend - the mandrels on the bender also help by supporting the sides of the bend, and you'll notice that the tubing is 'drawn' through the bending process (stretched longitudinally as it is bent) generally because the material is thin and soft, and as such flattens very easily.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    No.

The alloy used for bending brass is propietary. The alloy melts at below 100 C. The alloy is melted in a hot water bath or hot plate and poured in the pipe. After bending the brass is placed in a hot water bath and it turns to liquid and drops to the bottom of the vat. The alloy is recycled for the next job.

I learned this on a tour of the Getzen factory about 37 years ago.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Although he may be using any of the above suggestions,modern horns are made using bismuth which liquifies when heated and solidifies at room temperature.Much safer than any of the above.:D

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks for the replies. I think the cheapest and easiest way is freezing the bell with water and soap like in some Getzen video I saw.

9. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    Which Swiss factory does the video come from please?