Switch From Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Aug 18, 2009.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've recently been playing the baritone horn just to try it out and am starting to really like it. Marching band is forced upon us and it kills my chop playing trumpet, but it's not near as bad with the baritone. I also think even after a couple days I sound maybe even better on the baritone. It rips a chunk of my heart out every time I think about it but I think it may be better for me to switch to baritone. The person who will "section leader" next year for the trumpets tells me I'm not switching as we don't need someone else to basically just play the trombone part and we need more trumpets, but I'm more focused on what will be better with me in my future. I'm thinking about going into music education so with a career in music I am much more concerned with me being on the instrument thats best for me than there being one less trumpet next year. What do you all think? I really like playing trumpet, and if I switch I will still play it on the side, but with being in the 10th grade, I want to consider these choices before it gets to late. Also with the possibility of getting a professional trumpet soon, I want to make sure thats what I really need to invest in now.

By the way, I've talked to my band director about switching to baritone horn for marching band and he said maybe, and with school starting next week I might see about switching to baritone for concert band to. And just so I am sure I am switching for the right reasons, can someone list some good reasons to make the switch and some bad reasons to make the switch?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  2. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    A bad reason to make the switch is that I've heard that after playing any brass instrument other than the trumpet, you can't play the trumpet anymore as the mouthpiece sizes will mess up your embrouchure or something.

btw how old are you?

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm turning 16 in a couple months. There's a guy who lives nearby who gives trumpet lessons, and he gives the first one for free so I'm thinking about going to him and asking him about it and see what he thinks. If I switch, my band director plays tuba and baritone mainly and our assistant director plays trombone, so they could help with anything I need.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Work out which instrument you love to play....that's what matters.

Nothing wrong with doubling on Trumpet:
    Examples:
    James Morrison Trombone Player, doubles on Trumpets, Eupho, Sax etc.
    Maynard Ferguson: Trumpet, Trom, Eupho etc.
    etc....

GOOD REASONS:
    Life is too short not to be doing what makes you happy.
    If you like it, then you will probably stick with it.

5. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    So basically, if I enjoy and think I'll do better on the baritone, I should make the switch? I'll talk to my band director tomorrow and see if I can start also coming to sectionals with the low brass also to try to start learning more.

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The main reason for playing music is to enjoy it. Do what you like best, but I would suggest that if you really want to play low brass that trombone is more fun than baritone, more playing opportunities too.

Please don't make the switch just based on marching band pain. You really should compare the different brass instruments when you are playing in a better musical situation.

7. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think it's easier to stay relaxed with the baritone, so I think I will enjoy it more.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    there is no reason that you can't play both, just be sure to give practice time to both. you will probably figure out within a couple of months which one you will want to be your main horn.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Could maybe these two statements be related in any way?:roll:

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    At least you aren't considering switching to an accordian or bagpipes.