Switching between baritone and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SAcornetist, Oct 5, 2015.

1. SAcornetist

SAcornetist New Friend

Sep 27, 2015
    Sweden
    Hello there! :)

I'm 15 years old and have recently started to play the trumpet after playing the cornet for 9 years. I don't have the best sound on trumpet (much better on cornet) and not the best height.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of playing baritone/euphonium (playing the euphonium part on baritone) in the Home Guard Youth Band of my county. But my teacher and band director says it a bad idea and that it will destroy my trumpet/cornet playing. Is this true? What I've read on the internet it differs from people to people. I've been playing trombone (not seriously) for half a year and it haven't had any bad effects on my playing on high brass (I have a better tone on the cornet now).

So what do you think about switching between baritone/euphonium and trumpet/cornet? :)

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If you have been playing Trombone for half a year with no bad effects, it's not going to make any difference playing baritone. I went to college as a trumpet player, but one semester one of the jazz big bands needed a trombone, so I picked up the trombone and covered the parts. It didn't really affect my trumpet playing at all. However, if you are going against both your teacher and band director, I would proceed cautiously; egos are at stake.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Look at this thread:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/playing-other-instruments-75456.html

and read my comment there about Alex Melville. He was living proof that your band director is wrong - utterly and totally wrong. Any British Brass Band is proof that switching between instruments can be done and is not detrimental to your quality of playing. In fact, for many players it can mean an improvement. I've only very recently taken up trombone (more or less because a friend told me her late father's trombone was just lying about in the cellar, and whether I would advise her where to dispose of it - the bin, or the recycling facility... I told her - just give it to me, I'll keep it as a remembrance of a dear friend). So now I am a proud owner of a B&H Sovereign bone (gold brass bell, all the trimmings) and am really getting stuck into it - my wife as well. And my trumpet endurance has already improved (with bone, you just have to keep watcing your breath economy more than on trumpet, and that helps enormously).

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I think you will discover that playing both trumpet and baritone/trombone will help your playing each instrument. For an example of how this works, find James Morrison on YouTube.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    James Morrison, he's my trumpet hero.
    He came to play with our district symphony last year.
    Got 3 autographs gave him a card, saw the rehearsal and live concert.
    Got to see his superbone and trumpet live and talked with him :D
    I switch between french horn, trumpet and used change between trombone.
    Dennis78 here plays a King baritone occasionally switching between.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,

no doubt, a pro like Jim Morrison, Maynard Ferguson or other pros can fluently switch. For those that maybe only practice 30 minutes per day, I would not recommend piling on more instruments. Now, if you are PRACTICING an hour or more per day, then it is only a question of getting "enough" time in on each - whatever that means for each player individually.

I switch from cornetto to picc, to larger trumpets, Cornet/Flugel, natural trumpet, tenor horn and tuba all with no real issues. I am playing upwards of 2 hours every day often upwards of 4 hours per day. In this use case, it is fine. I would not practice tuba within 48 hours of a difficult picc or cornetto concert.......

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yea the only thing that hurts my trumpet playing is lack of practice.

8. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Have you listened to Trombone Shorty? He plays trombone and trumpet.

Conn 1000 A cornet
    Conn Director 17 A coprion
    Curry 3 Vc cornet mp
    Denis Wick Heritage 3 cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B gold plated cornet mp
    Giardnelli 7 C cornet mp

9. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    In HS, I played baritone in band, trombone in orchestra, and trumpet in jazz band. If anything, my embouchure was strengthened on trumpet (at least in my opinion) during this time.
    Of course, it could have been the amount of time I played the horns (i.e., practiced), but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Your band director and private teacher may have had (or known someone) a bad experience, but it's far from universal.

I say go for it and if it starts to have a negative effect on either horn, then reconsider.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It WAS the time that you spent. I played sousaphone in the junior high band, trumpet in the highschool band and big band and baritone/tenor horn for all sorts of things where a deep voice was required. It amounted to 2 hours+ per day.