Switching between coronet and trumpet mid-concert

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LLD, Dec 2, 2007.

1. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    My high school has a winter concert coming up and I'm playing lead, one one of the songs the lead part is written for coronet. I went out and rented a student horn that I'm practicing with, and I notice that when I do some warm ups on each horn I'll be just fine, but I miss some notes just switching and trying to play the same piece.

Will practicing switching help me?
    The concert is in a week.

I think the main thing is that I have a lead mouthpiece (Bobby Shew E14 marcienkiewicz) and the coronet came with a "Vincent Bach 6" which is a little deeper, and just different.

Thanks.

2. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    Hah.

Thank you.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you want to play any horn in concert, you need to spend enough time with it.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Both horns will play differently, and I'll bet the Bach 6 is a lot deeper than your lead trumpet mouthpiece. The above posts are correct - you have to become familiar with both setups, and get into the trumpet or cornet mindset when you pick up whichever horn. The problem's possibly compounded by the use of a student cornet, if your trumpet is a pro model.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Another factor is intonation. It may well be that different notes are differently out of tune on the two trumpet/mouthpiece combinations. Frequent switching in practice can help. The second intonation problem is the difference of basic pitch between the two instruments, and a horn that is tuned and then cools will start out flat. The third is the perceived pitch difference between a lead trumpet set up and a cornet--the cornet, being darker might sound flat even when in tune.

When we unconsiously lip a note too far in a given direction, the note will crack. Listen carefully to your fracks and "speelah's." If we are lipping up, the frack will occur above the target note, if lipping down, the frack will start below.

Practice and careful listening on both instruments should help eliminate the problem.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Yes, practicing switching will help , but you should learn to spell "CORNET"
    not coronet.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I play in a community band in which the director [was a french horn player in the Marine band] wants trumpets on the trumpet parts and cornets on the cornet parts. I switch back and forth all the time but I also use similar mouthpieces - Reeves 42 on both horns. Dave

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's a novel concept.....:lol: