Switching Between Instruments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetmasta, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    So a few months back my director came to me and asked me to play horn (and as a freshman was inclined to say yes). But now he has asked me to be in jazz band, which I am completely ok with, but myself and the other horn players have to switch between trumpet and horn. This is troublesome because I know all the fingerings pat down, but it is hard with the mouthpiece I am using to play trumpet because it is so different. I was wondering if anyone could give me a tip, (and I was also debating using my flugelhorn mouthpiece which is more like my horns and easier to play).:play:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Which horn? French? Alto? Baritone?

3. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    French horn sorry should have elaborated!

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Think Jekyll & Hyde.

Dr Jekyll = French Horn
    Hyde = Trumpet

It is possible to play both competently, but they are completely different animals. The fingerings are about the only thing in common, assuming you are playing a Bb French Horn, and not an F... Get used to the 2 different mpces, you will have a fench horn mpce, and you cannot change anything else around between French horn and trumpet, so get used to the mpce for each horn individually.

The trumpet playing will help your Horn playing, if that is of any consolation to you. There are quite a few players that can play both, and Jazz French Horn is a great idea; not too many of those around, but can sound great.

Good luck!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In another 6 months to a year, you are going to have one heck of a set of chops!

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 20 years I play trumpet in Big Band on thursday night and French horn in a comunity Orchestra on saturday morning, the difficulties come at first I found is playing horn in F parts on a Bb horn the fingering is not quite the same as trumpet.

Practice both instruments for equal times to get your ear accustomed to the new pitch, I suggest a Mouthpiece around a Schilkie 31, it has a rim diameter around that of a trumpet. Your Flugel mp will have a different taper and will not fit the horn.

Regards, Stuart.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The right French horn mouthpiece can make the switching easier. A Wick 4 or even a Bach 11 will provide a bit more rim width than, say, a Girardinelli C1 (which is still pretty comfortable), or a Stork M1 - and those are all good mouthpieces. Even those with the more characteristic thin rim can be comfortable if the bite is correct for you.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I will not affirm that an adapter is a viable answer in all instances ... often they produce a different sound, sometimes good and ... sometimes strange, weird or whatever. I've the French horn adapters to mellophone (F), cornet and trumpet which I'll sometimes play with my old Farkas French horn mouthpiece. With my Farkas, it isn't an easy switch to a comfortable trumpet or cornet mouthpiece. Only in thinking back to the beginning, it was either quit instrumental music playing a French horn with that mpc OR do as I did and bought my pre-owned "30s stencil (Czech???) trumpet. I do know there was no Bruno Tilz mention with my adaptors as were acquired here in the U.S.

Still, I now regularly switch about with trumpet, cornet, mellophone (F) and euphonium.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    I am only able to play on the Bb side because the F side is incredibly out of tune...the horn is in fairly good condition (considering it hasn't been played since I was around two and convinced my mom to let me blow into it) but it seems good, The horn is not my issue right now though. My trumpet playing is getting significantly worse as time goes by and it is really tragic because I have to stare at all my friends on trumpet day in and out. so I try to play but it is required on F horn first (unfortunately)