Switching Between Instruments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetmasta, Oct 3, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    New Page 1

Here's a link to John Stork's website. He makes custom mpcs for world class f-horn and trumpet players. You can read or call and maybe he or Phyllis can help you with this issue. Hope this helps!

2. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    Thank You!!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

OK -- let me interject that I am a trumpet player --- and on a comeback for 4 years now, I decided to pick up the trombone in January this past year. LOOK, when we cut through it all, the trombone was difficult (it took me 3 months before it started to sound OK) -- in the meantime, my range and sound on the trumpet was going into the crapper (IMHO) --- NOW, nearly 10 months later, the trombone sounds good, and the trumpet is almost back to where it was.

I hope this is encouragement to you ----I'm 48, So at your young age -- I would think (if you are continually switching in a practice --- which is what I did, because I want to be able to double on both, at anytime, anywhere) ---YES, at your young age -- I would think if you put in the time --- just hang in there, it will only take a few months to be proficient at both the French horn and trumpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes, hang in there through the frustration, that is all part of it!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Be wary that frustration doesn't bring on a form of depression. I've been there a lot in the last few years and it is not enjoyable. I think I've now about overcome it just by tenacity and perseverance and with the help of a wonderful wife and great Docs.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I beleive that would include me in that heart felt recognition. And in that case, you're welcome.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When practicing, try switching much more often between the instruments. This intense "lip-confusion" can bring about some wonderful growth. Not sure how it works, exactly (am more into a kind of Zen-voodoo thing myself, and most of my science is pseudo-science) but I think it trains us to react kinesthetically and not synthetically in a kind of unitive benign continuum.

That mumbo-jumbo aside, just switch often between the two and see if you can confuse your mind, too. Play horn licks with trumpet fingerings on your trumpet. Play trumpet licks with horn fingerings on your horn. It'll make your head spin, but I'm convinced that it is not so much a mouthpiece/thing as a mind/body thing where the status quo becomes movable.

Have fun!