Switching between trumpet, flugel & piccolo trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Masterwannabe, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    As my user id implies I am a master wannabe, I haven't played seriously for more years than I care to mention and there are a lot of things I have forgotten or really never knew. My situations is this, I have been playing my '61 Connestallation and custom modified Martin Handcraft 'C' w/parduba mouthpiece in church for the last 3 or 4 years and about a year ago one of the parishiners gave me a 60's vintage couesnon fluglehorn with original mouthpiece. This flugel I have found out is one of the more sought after horns and it does sound great. I have recently started playing in a big band style dance band and am looking for more opportunities to play. I also enjoy very much playing Canadian Brass style music some of which would be better if I had a piccolo trumpet. I am currently looking for a reasonably priced pic. My question is this, does anyone have any insight on what effect switching between the different horns might have on my overall lip development & endurance. I am pondering the idea of getting the same mouthpiece for all horns if possible. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Same size rims on all horns may facilitate switching around, but more important is to practice all the horns and the switch itself. However using same cup designs an all horns is highly undesirable IMO. Using different horns is done for the purpose of changing the sound color, though high horns may increase your ease of playing in the high register.
    Practice is the answer.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Go for the sound you want from each horn; that may mean different mpces.
    I use Jet-tone Al Hirt for the Flugel and Jet-tone MF Studio for Cornet, Assymmetric Lead for Bb and Assymmetric 555 for C. Happy to swap around to get the sound. Denis Wick 5x, Schilke 14A4x for Pic, other if the sound required is warmer etc.

Find the sound, and mpce to match that sound.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with Peter McNeill. Go for the sound you want for each horn and pick your mouthpiece that way.

I was in a similar situaion a year or so ago when I started playing trumpet, piccolo, and flugel on a regular basis during church gigs. I thought it made sense to have the same basic matching setup on all 3 horns to make it easier to switch. I use a 3C for Bb so I picked up a 3CFL for flugel and a 3E for piccolo. What I found was that it only made things easier when I had to play more than one horn during the same song. Since this turned out to be very rare, I didn't really think that it was all that helpful overall.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You just do it. There is not a problem if you increase your practice time to cover the additional instruments.

Forget about using the same mouthpiece on all horns. A flugel sounds real crappy with a trumpet mouthpiece and a picc is normally not very in tune with the standard trumpet backbore. Even identical rims do not make the transition go faster. That is just plain practice.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Please keep in mind that we play the instrument (of which the mouthpiece is a component) and not just the mouthpiece. An instrument with a "matched" mouthpiece will allow you to crescendo and decresendo without having to lip up or down, and play the range of the instrument in tune.

Once mastered, it is important to spend some time each day with each horn for the body to remember "Oh yeah, I know how to play this!"

Switching then becomes natural, and the only nasty part is picking up a cold horn (I've played in some beautiful but nasty cold churches in Germany that called for long underwear and hot soup), so tuning for the enviroment should become the most difficult issue for you.

Have fun!

7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Thank you all for your advice. It would appear the that the answer to the old question "How do you get to Carnegie Hall" as in most things is to practice. I think before I make any big changes I will continue as I am now, spending more time with each instrument,

Thanks again,

Ray Z

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I found Stomvi's Mouthpiece System invaluable. The offer a box containing trumpet and cornet shanks, eight different size cups and one standard rim in sizes to fit almost any standard Bach, Yamaha or Schillke moutpiece size. They also offer a special lightweight piccolo trumpet shank. Try that one out!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Never had a problem playing any mpc ... and by that I mean from picc down to Suzy. Some weren't comfortable, but that doesn't change the foregoing statement. The worst offender was the Asymmetric 342 (with a bite on the outer rim) but I believe Doug M remedied that for me. I think my situation came down to not being able to afford being selective, I made what I had work. Parduba is my fav for trumpet, cornet and picc.

10. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I disagree slightly with some of the above comments. There is no reason not play a flugelhorn mp with the same RIM as your Bb mp. You should be able to get a good match.
    For picc, I try to go two sizes down. I play an old 3c fr Bb, so in my case I play the equivalent of a 5c for picc, with an appropriate cup and backbore for picc.