Switching Between Two Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, May 13, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Yesterday, I took out my aristocrat after it had been sitting for about a month now. Decided to get the valves moving and some air going through it. Well after an hour of working to get the valves to move, I blew a note and BAM. I went to play pp and it just blasted. After recovering from the immense noise that came out, it took about thirty minutes for me to get accustomed to playing the horn. I was wondering is it normal to have trouble going between two different horns?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Of course it is normal. We are all creatures of habit and we tend to become accustomed to anything that we do over time. So, if you played one instrument for a month or more, it would take some time to adjust to the other. At the same time, if you continue to practice switching - do it on a daily basis - it will become second nature. It is like speaking two languages. You need to keep up on both of them to be proficient.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Thats what i figured. The aristocrat slots a lot looser then the strad which may be part of the reason i couldn't play for a while with good tone

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO NO NO,
    slotting was not the reason!
    The reason is that you HEAR yourself differently. The braces are placed differently, the thickness and temper of the bell is different, the tone is different. That just means your ears expect something else. Play both horns every day and you will NEVER have problems.

5. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I almost always play 2 horns when I practice not to mention 4 different mouthpieces. Interestingly enough one is a Buescher 400 and the other an Olds. These two horns are about as different playing as you can get. At first it was a struggle switching between horns and mouthpieces but you do adjust and it doesn't present a problem.