Switching flugelhorns.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I've been trying to get rid of my Leblanc F357 Arturo Sandoval flugelhorn for a little while now so I could move on to a new horn. The F357 is a nice horn and all, but I've been ready to move on to something new for a while. I tried to sell it for quite some time to no avail....until about a week ago!I'm happy to announce that a Carol Brass CFL-6200-GSS-SLB will soon be added to my small collection of horns! I found somebody that was willing to do a trade in with my Leblanc for a Carol Brass. His offer was extremely good (almost twice the amount of two other offers I had) so I went for it. So in about two weeks I should be receiving my new flugel. I'm pretty excited!Does anybody else out there own this model flugel? If so, how have you guys liked it? Just curious.Kujo

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Once again, I apologize for the weird spacing/lack of spacing in this post. This has happened to every original post I've done for about a month now....I've tried redoing them and editing them and nothing will work. It only does it in an original post....not in replies or comments....

Is anybody else having this problem? It's quite frustrating...

Kujo

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Let us know what you think compared to the Lablanc. Apparently something wasn't to your liking on the Labanc.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If your orig. posts changed a month ago, something is different. Your browser updated, your computer updated, you changed a selection in your user options (Control panel or on TM) - something. It could even be a change in internet providers (really!).

Try playing with the formatting button (upper left in compose post (compost?)).

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    All I have about the Carolbrass is excellent reviews. I believe you will like it. Leblancs never retain their value for some reason beyond my understanding. Congrats on the good trade!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    would love to hear a vid of you playing it

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Well, the Carol will be here on Thursday! Once I have it, I'll take a couple days to test it out and get to know it. After that, I'll let you all know what I think.

Kujo

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, am looking forward to a comparison.

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Well, she arrived this morning! I tried to find her at work this morning (I work for UPS) without any luck...but it was delivered pretty early.

I haven't been able to really play it yet because I live in a condo building that likes things VERY quiet. However, I've given it quite a look over, oiled everything up, and yes I played a few soft notes. Plus I threw in my flugel mute and played around for a few minutes. So far so good! I'm really liking everything.

On Saturday, I'll be taking a trip to a church that has some really nice acoustically built rooms to put it through the paces. After that, I'll give you guys a full review and a match-up/comparison to the Leblanc F357.

For those of you that are interested...stay tuned!
    Kujo

10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Alright, here it is! My Carol Brass flugelhorn review & side by side comparison with the Leblanc F357. First I'll start with the review of the Carol Brass.

First off, this flugelhorn is a beauty! The satin brush finish is really nice. It almost matches my Taylor...just a bit lighter in color. The Carol fits really nicely in the hands. It's not awkward to hold at all. The third valve trigger is nicely placed. At first the flugel seemed really small to me, but then I rememberd that the Leblanc that I had is what most people would consider a larger flugelhorn. The weight of the Carol is nice...not too light and certainly not too heavy. The valves are INCREDIBLE as I figured they would be (seeing as they're stainless steel). Once oiled, those babies are reeeeallly smooth and quick. Everything about the build of the horn seems real solid. Nothing seemed out of place or poorly done.

After playing the horn for nearly an hour and a half I came to these conclusions about it's playability and characteristics: It's tone is your typical, dark, rich, smoky flugelhorn sound. It's not stuffy or pillowy. It's not overly dark either. The horn was very easy to play (for me). I felt like I had a large amount of control on this flugel. Most every note seemed to jump out of the horn at the slightest touch. The low and middle registers are typical....nothing seemed very special compared to other flugels (meaning it wasn't magically better than others). The upper range speaks quite well (better than my ol' Leblanc). Tuning was also typical of a flugelhorn. Low d's and c#'s needed a little bit of a kick. Everything else was decently spot on. All in all...if you're buying one of these things brand new (IT'S WORTH THE PRICE, which is way lower compared to others)

Here's my comparison.I'm going to try to break this down to the most important parts. The two main categories will be Craftmanship/Build Quality and Playing Characteristics. I'll use a 1-10 scale. 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest.

Craftmanship/Build Quality
    Overall appearance-Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 9 -These horns have two different looks. I happen to be a big fan of Satin Brush and Copper...so the both score high for me.

Overall Build Quality-Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 7 -The Carol just seems to be more solid. The Leblanc is made by a company that specializes in clarinets....and you can tell. The valves were never that great and the amado water keys were a pain.

Valves-Carol Brass 10 Leblanc 7 - Stainless steel wins every time for me. Plus, the Leblanc had these green felts that I wasn't a big fan of.

Hand(s) Comfort-Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 9 - They're different...but they both have one downside for me. The pinky ring on the Carol is a bit too far away, not too bad, but I'd like it just a tiny bit closer. The Leblanc's third valve trigger was a bit uncomfortable for me. So again, even scores.

Playing Characteristics

Overall -Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 8

Timbre -Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 8 - The Carol has that great flugel sound. Just perfect. It's also very easy to manipulate, especially with the two different leadpipes. The Leblanc has a really nice sound as well, but it always seemed a bit stuffy to me. More stuffy/pillowy than rich sounding.

Blow -Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 8 - The Carol has a .433 bore. The Leblanc has a .421. The Carol is just a bit more easy to fill up. Therefore for me it's more responsive.

Range -Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 8 - The upper register made the difference here. For me, the upper register spoke clearer with the Carol. Not only was it clearer, but it also felt easier for me. The middle, low, and really low registers were equal.

Tuning -Carol Brass 9 Leblanc 8 - The Leblanc was definitely more finicky when it came to tuning.

Those are the main points I can think of right now. Once I can play it in more of a hall or sanctuary (I didn't get to play at that church today) I'll comment on things like resonance, feedback, etc.. If you feel as if I've missed something, let me know and I'll add it in.

Well, overall I think it's safe to say that I'm happy with my switch. After playing today, I could say without lying or being in denial that I like the Carol Brass better than the Leblanc F357.

Kujo