Switching horns in performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, May 25, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Mr. L-

If you're playing a concert that requires you to play C trumpet and piccolo, how do you approach this switch? Sometimes I feel, in practicing, that I can only play piccolo well when I focus on it and not Bb or C trumpet. As I think about professional players like yourself, I wonder how you would practice and perform a concert of C trumpet in the first half (perhaps Festive Overture and Barber Violin Concerto) and then a big piccolo piece like Rite of Spring in the second.

As always, I really appreciate your willingness to help all of us!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear PBT,

I think the key here is a good choice of mouthpiece. The closer you can get to a picc mouthpiece that resembles your main horn's mouthpiece, the better off you'll be. While I don't use the picc for the Rite (I use an Eb) the point is still to use the closest mouthpiece rim to your C or Bb mouthpiece you can, with a cup the keeps the smaller horn in tune with itself.

Hope that helps.

ML

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    It does--thanks!

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I got into the habit of playing all my horns each time I practiced. Playing your D, Eb or picc at every opportunity and working out on transpositions on these horns can save your butt. Try D trumpet using the Eb. F trumpet using the D, this is my favorite. C trumpet using the picc. There's a lifetime of practice material right there :cool:
    Wilmer

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Mouthpiece...

Manny,

Do you use the same rim on all your Monette pieces ?

That seems to make so much sence...

I really need to try some of Dave's mouthpieces. Considering the cost of his pieces, a day trip to Portland to make sure you get the right piece seems to make good financial sence too....

Your toughts?

Rogerio

A foot note to Peabody's question.... when I did my first recital with multiple horns (20+ years ago)... I decided to get creative and have all the horns on heating pads... :lol: (yes, I know... rather anal huh?)... anyway, it seemed to help to go from C to Eb to Cornet with all of them feeling nice and warm...