Switching Instruments.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetmasta, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    Well after playing trumpet for 7 years now, and playing french horn for about a month, my high school band director wants me to be full time on french horn. Well a few problems...
    1) I played french horn with my braces ON...my embouchure is garbage
    2) I self taught so I know basically nothing about it...
    3) I started off on my mom's professional horn and it is tough to play on as it is
    4) I only played something that was easy enough that I could do without a teacher, and seeing as how my band sight reads grade 6 music I was counting on playing on something I have more experience on

sooo yeah I have my whole summer (literally I just got off school yesterday) but I am still freaking out... any tips?????????????:shhh::roll::dontknow::-?:shock::think::bash:

HELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Get a copy of The Art of French Horn Playing by Philip Farkas. Full of good stuff and lots applies to trumpet players as well. Gunther Schuller also wrote a book on playing the French horn, Horn Technique.

Have fun!

3. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't believe that it is good for your mental health as a trumpetplayer to change to french horn. LOL My guess is that you end up trying to straighten the bell forward and shuffle the valves to your other hand. Anyway, you don't see too much trumpeteers with their hands INSIDE the bell ROFL

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Longtones and lipslurs are key to your development. It gives you time to LISTEN. Horn requires a much lower testosterone level. If you are male, your sisters "pill" could be of use........ ;-)

By the way, you will have to change your username here. TrumpetBASTA would be more befitting.............

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Tell the director to pound sand, and play what YOU want to play.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Been there, sort of. In 7th grade, since my parents didn't want to spring for an instrument, my band director put me on euphonium, and after the first year, over the Summer he let me use a French horn with which to familiarize myself. I did. I hated it. I wanted to play melodies, not accompaniment, and I LOVED the sound of the trumpet (still do, decades later). I bought a trumpet and returned the French horn. My band director was livid! He told me he put me on French horn because he felt I had the ablity to master it. He said I would have to start at the very bottom of the trumpet section as punishment. Personally, I was thrilled just to play the trumpet, and it didn't take long for me to advance.

If you don't have passion for the trumpet, go ahead and learn to play the French horn; it's a very difficult instrument to play, and you'll have accomplished something if you can play it well. Different instruments are suited to different personalities, and if you didn't object to your band director's wishes, you may be better suited to the French horn. Trumpet players are very social and sociable, but we're very aggressive and egotistical, too. If you don't identify with this description, another instrument may be more to your liking.

I second Vulgano Brother's suggestion concerning Philip Farkas' book; it's a must for all brass players.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I know 2 different trumpet players that played the French horn through Jr. High and High school, both have more endurance and a beautiful tone. Have no idea why, could be learning on such a small m.p. or maybe better use of breath control. I'll let the experts figure that out but both guys are pretty good trumpet players now. They also are pretty good sight readers.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    quit freaking out!!!!!!!---- that is job number 1. Let's see, at age 47, my community band was/is in need of trombone players for the summer parades. NOW, I am a fairly confident trumpet player (perhaps NOT AS PROFICIENT, as the pros on this site would like to have, BUT certainly proficient enough to play all the charts in the community band).
    So in January, I picked up the trombone (I PRACTICE AND PLAY BOTH NOW -- the trumpet for concerts, and the trombone for parades) ---- it took a good 2-3 months to get the trombone up to "tolerable" level of competence. NOW 6 months later --- I got the trombone through the 1st parade of the season --- with thumbs up from the other 2 trombone players (who each have over 40 yrs of playing).
    NOW -- I will admit, I missed a note or 2 in the parade, missed a FAST riff on salutation March (once or twice) - so I could "catch" my breath and NOT pass out.

THE WHOLE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS --- you can play both, or you can concentrate on just 1. IF you want to help out, and still play the trumpet -- then I just say -- IT WILL TAKE TWICE THE PRACTICE (equal amounts on trumpet and french horn) -- who knows perhaps you could do french horn for concert band --- and trumpet for Jazz band, or marching in parades in a community band.

so QUIT FREAKING OUT -- sit down with your parents, or teacher, and let them help you make a decision about -- commitment, and maturity, and growth as you become a young adult ----------and have fun, and enjoy life as this great adventure

9. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Different instruments are suited to different personalities, and if you didn't object to your band director's wishes, you may be better suited to the French horn. Trumpet players are very social and sociable, but we're very aggressive and egotistical, too. If you don't identify with this description, another instrument may be more to your liking.

This is an interesting thought that I have had several times. I might start a thread about this if there isn't already one.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is someone to follow:

David Guerrier - Carnival Of Venice - Variations sur le Carnaval de Venise - YouTube
    1/6 David Guerrier - Joseph Haydn - 1er mvt du Concerto pour trompette - YouTube
    4/6 - David Guerrier - Joseph Haydn - 1er mvt du Concerto pour cor - YouTube
    David Guerrier - «Airs variés» pour ophycléide et piano de Hyacinthe Klosé - YouTube
    David Guerrier Concerto de Tomasi - YouTube

Guerrier was principal horn player with the French National Orchestra from 2005–09, where Kurt Masur was music director, before moving to the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra during 2009–10. Today he performs as a member of La Chambre Philharmonique, which is a small ensemble that specializes in performing works from the Classical and Romantic periods while playing “period” instruments. (excerpt from Famous Soloists)

It is possible.