Switching insturments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hunter S., Feb 2, 2012.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. New Friend

Nov 6, 2010
    I am interested in playing the saxophone. Will playing a Saxophone mess up my tone, range, endurance...... on the trumpet?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Only if you dont play your trumpet for a long period of time.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It won't mess up your embrochure, but, it will enhance your appreciation for the trumpet.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It won't mess up your trumpet playing unless you stop playing the trumpet as much or completely, but it might lead to more jobs if you play both.

Turtle

5. JAGMAN

JAGMAN New Friend

Jan 18, 2012
    While both are slightly different in terms of your buzz (sax uses a reed, and the trumpet uses your lips as reeds), your facial muscles are the same. I played trumpet exclusively for about 12 years, then took up sax exclusively for 20 years and now play both. I consider it cross training...You'll probably find it much easier to play the sax than the trumpet. I can put my sax down for weeks and still crank out the altissimo...not so on trumpet...it takes constant attention and is a very demanding instrument. GOOD LUCK!!

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    +1 what JAGMAN said. I played sax long ago. Took up trumpet a few years ago thinking it'd be a cinch. Wrongo. Sax is way easier compared to trumpet, so you'll have lots of fun with it. (I should say, sax is easier to get going and use the full normal range of the horn. Any instrument is tough to get to the level of professional.)

7. JAGMAN

JAGMAN New Friend

Jan 18, 2012
    What fun would the trumpet be if it had an octave key??:dontknow:

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If you like buying reeds then go for it...The nice thing about trumpets is they aren't too expensive and mouthpieces never wear out.

9. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Most have one. It's that little hook on the lead pipe for your right hand pinky finger. ;-)

Brad361

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    There for a while I was learning both at the same time. The saxophone was easy and fun for a little while. I eventually sold the saxophone. The saxophone is kind of an expensive alternative. Not only buying the reeds, but also the horns with all those levers tend to wear out much more quickly, so there are many professional quality hand-me-downs out there. Not to mention getting a good tone is painful. I prefer playing flutes(ethnic and western) as alternative instruments. I feel the embouchure is closer to a trumpet than the sax since the sax mouthpiece is so large.