Switching it up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'm not too sure if this post belongs in the mpc section because it DOES have to do with mouthpeices but mainly about playing, ANYway:

So I have a gig with my ska band exactly 7 days and 4 hours from now. Just recently I pulled out a mouthpeice that came with my trumpet, yamaha 14B4 (I've been playing my Bach 10c for 2 years now). And I must say its great. BUT, knowing my crappy luck, for some reason I can't shake the feeling that, yes It's great now, but something will go wrong and all of the sudden I can't play for my gig.

So my question, if the going is good right now ( I just started using the 14B4 20 minutes ago), will it stay good or is there a chance things will go haywire?

PS: (it gives me a fatter sound =D, but lower range which I don't need really... )

2. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Two ways to look at it. If you want to be conservative and play it safe, you could save the change over till after the gig. On the other hand you have 7 days to get used to the new piece and then a gig to really see if it works for you. Its unlikely the change over would take you to the point of not being able to play. I think you will know in 7 days of playing what to expect.

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Well, it's wider than the tiny Bach 10 rim, being on the opposite scale of the Bachs, and shallower than the moderate Bach C cup, also being on the opposite scale.

I switched from a Bach 7C to a Schilke 10b4, and I played better immediately, and I'm still playing better now, almost 5 months later. I'd say it's fine, but you never know for sure, because everyone's different.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The danger of switching from a narrow rim diameter to a wider one, is that the wider rim will almost always feel more comfortable at the beginning, but after a short honeymoon period can start to collapse, I would wait until I had at least a couple of weeks or more before my next performance to give me a chance to get used to the new mouthpiece.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is THE WORD! Switch during summer vacation when you have no commitments! When you make the decision, put the mouthpiece in a small tupperware box filled with water. Then FREEZE the old mouthpiece. This will prevent you from switching back and forth, which will destroy anything consistent in your playing.

The 14B is a great standard mouthpiece. Not too deep or shallow, very comfortable!

6. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    it's funny how you seem to have no commitment during the summer rowuk, summer is precisely the busiest period of the year for me heheheh :)

but great advice!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brem,
    I said "when YOU have no commitments". I stand corrected.

Actually my "competition" here in Germany gets the recommendation to change immediately before important concerts..............

8. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    After much consideration, I decided to wait till summer to do any changing of mouthpeices. Whether or not I will have problems isn't a chance i'm going to take since I have so many concerts and gigs coming up. Thanks for the advice everyone :-)