Switching major instruments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shoe, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Shoe

Shoe Pianissimo User

May 16, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Hello all!
    So, I'm at a crossroads in my young musical career.
    I was at a university for music education, but Im back at home this semster, but will be returning next fall. While I was at my university, I made it to assistant principal horn of the university 's 2nd endsamble and horn studio, and was playing at a pretty decent level, especially for a freshman.
    Anyway, while I've been home, I've been playing trumpet more. I played it though highschool and marched dci on it, but never as my main instrument.
    I realized I loved trumpet so much more than horn, and that I was having more fun on trumpet than I have ever had on horn.
    Has anybody switched like this and can give me advice on if this is a good call?
    Also, I need mouthpiece advice. I'm playing on a bach 3 c right now, but I get tired quickly, after about an hour, and I feel like the witdth is affecting my range.
    Last thing, is switching a good idea?
    I'm not terrible at trumpet, after about 2 weeks of daily practice I'm getting halfway through arban's 1st charecteristic study and I'm working on the first variation of brilliant fantasy in the arbans book.
    Thanks everyone!

2. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I made a switch from piano to trumpet. I kind of regret it, but I will start playing again....eventually:-)

You said that you played Trumpet throughout highschool. Was your mouthpiece a problem back then? It could be that you are out of practice on Trumpet lip muscles, using too much pressure, or you are used to your horn mouthpiece. Do not get a new mouthpiece. Many players think that getting a new mouthpiece will improve all their problems. You should work on endurance. That seems to be your issue. And if you do decide to get a mouthpiece, you MUST try out as many various brands and models as you can. The less mouthpiece switches the better.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I play both French horn and trumpet. Why not do both?

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You're going to find some bias in our responses. We're all trumpet players here, and I suspect all of us would favor trumpet over french horn -- more fun, better music, more playing opportunities.

Find your passion and go for it. If it's trumpet, that's great.

You're getting tired on a Bach 3C after an hour of playing. You've been playing trumpet regularly now for only 2 weeks. And you're looking for mouthpiece suggestions. My advice is to stick with the 3C. It's a good middle-of-the road mouthpiece that's a reasonable choice for many people. A different mouthpiece is unlikely going to help.

Mike

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I had to play horn the first year I played brass.
    Trumpets much more fun.

Don't hunt for a mouthpiece. My favorite endurance builders are two things:
    1. The pencil trick.
    2. Playing a certain etude as many times through until my lips give out at the end of one practice session per week.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Or the blow the tissue, blow the tissue avoiding it falling on the ground or some big breath exercises on the floor lying with a book on your stomach.

7. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Funnily enough I started trumpet way before than French horn but I am better at French horn for some music wise stuff.

8. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I played next to a kid in orchestra in college who was a trumpet player all through high school but switched to horn later on. I like the sound of the horn. There's no way you could tell that he was a "trumpet player." It shouldn't be too difficult, but you will need some help and also need to talk to your professors and get their opinions.

9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I did the opposite in school. Trumpet was my main instrument but I also played some horn in high school. I found the toughest thing was learning the fingerings with the opposite hand.

For your situation, you certainly could play both if you wanted. For the trumpet mouthpiece, I would stick with the 3C. Yes it's much bigger than your horn mpc, but most are. And, you will have to work into your endurance and range with the 3C but it's an all around good sounding and comfortable piece for a lot of people. YMMV of course.

10. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Or a 7C. That's a good first mouthpiece, especially for someone with a smaller embouchure. The biggest difference between horn embouchure and trumpet embouchure is that horn players purse their lips slightly because the mouthpiece is so small -- this is never a good idea for trumpet.