Switching major instruments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shoe, Feb 3, 2016.

1. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I say play both. I play both. I'm retired and have time. I play horn in quintet and trumpet in a community band. I'm looking to put together a small group for jazz and I'll play cornet/trumpet/flugelhorn in that. If I can find a brass band, I'll also play Eb cornet. I've noticed that playing all of the different brass has actually improved my playing. Certainly playing Eb cornet improved my range. The mouthpiece thing bothered me for a while. I tried matching diameters but that didn't work for one or the other. I now play Curry 8.5 size on trumpet/cornet/flugel/soprano and Wick Paxman 5.5 for horn. That is 16.23 mm to 17.4 mm. But rim profiles are so different and switching seems to be no problem.

One of the advantages to playing different horns is playing opportunities. A good horn player is hard for groups to find so there are opportunities that are unique to horn. But trumpet means lots of opportunities too.

2. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    It is possible to play both. I used to. As noted by others above, there are advantages to both.

The one thing I found was that when I primarily played horn and occasionally played trumpet, my trumpet embouchure deteriorated quickly. When I primarily played trumpet and occasionally played horn, the horn embouchure remained OK. If you want to play both, then you need to practice both daily.

The 3C is a widely used general-purpose trumpet mouthpiece. You shouldn't need to change. If you want to try a smaller mouthpiece as an experiment, try the 10.5C. That's what I used when playing both instruments.

3. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Only you know what's best for you but from a practical view focus on the instrument you are already putting the most time in.