switching mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

I am curious as to what your thoughts are about switching mouthpieces for lead playing and orchestral or even pic? Do you use the same one for all or switch because I know a lot of guys who don't and a lot who do.

I'm just curious and wanted to ask a question but couldn't think of a good one.

Oh wait I have one....When is the next MYS concert. I want to come hear yall play. I have some friends who you might know who used to play in there: Matt Carey? Cindy Ooms? Your wife I guess conducted Cindy. But anyways, I played in the Dallas Youth Symphony in HS and want to hear you guys play. Let me know!

Jeremy Tarter

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

Yes, I switch occasionally if I have a scream book to play for Doc's shows and I have a couple of mouthpieces I like for the piccolo.

So, my basic mouthpieces are

C1-5M , B5LD M for picc, and B4LD for scream.

I'm not real married to any of those but that's the ballpark I play in.

The next MYS concert is in April.. I forgot which day... check the website.

ML

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Manny, how different are those rims in diameter and shape?

Do you practice regularly on each?

Thanks for the info!!

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dave!

Where have you been? Welcome back.

I don't really know except that the 15M is supposed to be like an old Bach 1B and the rim is maybe a little less sharp than the 1-2 I normally play. The smaller mouthpieces are, well... smaller.

I'm really sorry, I don't get much into what's what other than whether it works for me. As far as practicing, I play them when I need to which is often except for the screamer, maybe.

ML

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    B-4 = 1 1/2 B

B-4L = 3D

B4LD = Old 3C slightly shallow

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

B1-5LM=?

ML

PS

Looks like a math equation...

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny

Well a B1-5 = about 1C and the L is for lead so,

B1-5L = 1D
    B1-5LM = 1D but a little deeper
    B1-5LD = a little more deep.

I have a B1-5LD and a B1-5LM.
    I can't play on the LM. It is too shallow.
    When I play lead I use the LD. Even with that I have to get used to it but when I play lead people can't believe how big the sound is and how long I can play.

I hope that helped.

How about that, me tellin you.

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, B1-5M,

Try this:

Keep your corners down and forward when you play that mouthpiece. I had the same problem and doing that or saying "TOOH" very actively helped tremendously! It's the mouthpiece I'm using for the Brandenburg. Once I exaggerated that process it made a huge difference. It makes the picc actually sound like a trumpet. The one disclaimer is that you have to be very active doing it. Every bloody note! That's where the game of concentration really is.

Lemme know.

ML

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I will try it.

When I put that mouthpiece in the piccolo trumpet it goes way out of tune.

I think it is a combination of me doing things that I shouldn't and that mouthpiece not being meant for that application.

Give me a couple of days and I'll post again.

Thanks,

Joe

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Manny,

Didn't go anywhere, just working a lot. I've been doing most of my work recently on a Curry copy of the MountVernon 3C rim. It's working well for the high note stuff, and certainly the rim is better for legit playing (B cup, 25 throat and Schmidt backbore). I've had Mark make a lead piece with a Reeves 43 rim in case I run into anything that would need that, but no problems so far. Just wondering how much time you put into practicing on the different rims.

The Curry piece I'm using for commercial work is the Mt. Vernon 3C rim on a shallow V cup with a 27 throat and a Bach Backbore. Not particularly shallow, I don't like my sound on a too shallow piece.

Thanks for all your posts, it's an excellent education all it's own! I'd hoped the internet could provide us with contact like this, let's hope more pros like you will come out and share their ideas with the rest of us regular cats! ;-)