Switching mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    My first year of band in 6th grade I used a 7C, then around 7th grade I switched to 5C, then around 8th or 9th grade I switched to a 3C. I am a senior now. Until recently I've been using that 3C, but a few weeks ago I switched to a 1 1/2C and have been real tired constantly. I have to work twice as hard to get a high C out above the stuff, and it doesn't sound as good as it used to. I told this to my private teacher, and I think he said the switch from mouthpieces, especially one as big as the 1 1/2C would affect me a lot because your facial muscles are so finely tuned that the slightest adjustment will affect you. So is it possible that this mouthpiece is too big for me right now?

Another friend who marched with Crown said that I just might not be using enough air to 'fill up' the mouthpiece and rely on too much pressure. I try not to use pressure and usually catch myself when I do it, but I need more help on how to minimize pressure. In marching band we do breathing exercises, but what do you guys think?

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Why did you want to swich ? Did you feel things were getting worse with the 3C ? I ask those questions because my own philosophy (too simple ?) is : if you have no problem with a mouthpiece, don't change !

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Two things;

Why did you switch to a 1 1/2 C after playing a 3 C??

Your private teacher even says this might affect you a lot.

I would do what my private teacher tells me to do.

As a senior in high school, the LAST thing you want to do is listen to advice from a friend, probably another senior in high school. Unless of course, he is a well regarded professional as well.

Take a good look at the cup in your mouthpiece....how much air do you think it takes to fill that little cup up?

If you trust your teacher, and what he said sounds right to me, do what he says and forget about your well meaning but uninformed friends.

One more thing....why do you want to go to a larger mouthpiece?

Give me ONE good reason to do that.

4. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I guess I just saw that some of the better players at my school used a 1 1/2C and I realized I should too. Plus I figured I would get better quicker on a more challenging mouthpiece. But the question is, should I try my 3C for a week and see if things get better? That will determine if the 1 1/2C was too big for me or not.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Read that sentence out loud and pretend you didn't write it. It takes a while (some say several months) to adjust to a new mouthpiece. If there was a reason you switched from the 3C to the 1 1/2 then I suggest you give it more time. If there wasn't a particular reason you switched then I say go back to the 3C.

6. Myshilohmy

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    My main reason for switching was to get better faster.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What another uses has NO bearing on what YOU should use. ZIP! ZERO! ZILCH!!!

There is NO fast or quicker way to get better.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Put that 1 1/2C in a drawer and carefully forget where you put it. Play on your old and proven 3C as your teacher told you to do.

OLDLOU>>

9. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    I remember when I moved up in size mouthpieces, i felt perfectly comfortable on the new mouthpiece and thought I sounded better bigger and playing was easier, when I moved to a bigger size (that was too big) I didn't have a good sound and my range was pinched, so stick with what works until you need to get bigger to get better and accomplish how you want to sound and play, all that playing on a mouthpiece that is too big for you will do is screw up your playing.

10. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I could use a 1 1/2 C for a bird bath! If you play better on another mouthpiece, for example, the 3C or 5C, play it. That's why there are so many different mouthpiece sizes out there. The 1 1/2C won't make you a better player. Practicing the right stuff, with the correct mouthpiece for you only, will help you improve. That's why most players that play on Maynard Ferguson's mouthpiece models don't play like Maynard. It isn't the mouthpiece. It's using the best mouthpiece for you.

Pete