Switching mouthpieces?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Many pro's would say you should go to a smaller rim to get better. Doesnt mean it is right for you. You will now when to switch and bigger is not better. You want the most efficient mouthpiece for your playing.

I have played for over 25 years and use a 5C size rim. I went through the "big" phase and used to play a Bach 1B and a 1 1/4C on Picc, I was NUTS!!!!

Listen to the teachers, they often know what is best.

TD

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Yah +1 to Solar and Miles! Just because someone else is doing it, doesn't mean you have to too. Dave Monette put it perfectly: "Mouthpiece size is like shoe size, everyone's is different" I would not play a game of basketball wearing Shaq's shoes, just because he is a monster at basketball. Wearing Shaq's shoes would not make me any better at basketball, although it would probably make me worse, because the shoes don't fit.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I recently posted on this somewhere, but after abondoning my 1 1/2C for my 3C equiv. (Yamaha Shew Jazz) and my shallower and more appropriate (for big band) Curry 60M, I went back to the big bach mpc and felt I was being swallowed alive; my range dropped by at least a third. A local pro here in LA, who will go unnamed told me that if he played that piece he wouldn't have good high F, which he can play in his sleep with his normal setup.

Moral: don't follow some clowns who are using a mpc totally inappropriate to what you're trying to accomplish. Of course, you should find out what your trying to accomplish...

em