Switching Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I am currently playing on a Shilke 14A4A for everything (jazz band, concert band, lessons). I am in ninth grade and have been having trouble with endurence lately. I have been using the 14A4A for about a year. I want to switch mp's at least for concert band. I was reading about the 14A4A and how it is not that great for young players. Are there any other mp's I should avoid at this point?

2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    If the mouthpiece don't fit you must acquit...That's the rule. Trouble with endurance is likely over use injury...Keep practicing and don't overblow. Easier said than done...

Pay close attention to mouthpiece pressure...Ideally we'd use none or as little as possible. Good luck. I'm a comeback player with great fatigue. But I've been on a mouthpiece safari for the past two weeks.

Sometimes it's better to let the horn do the projection than try to blow harder for more volume. There is a diminishing curve to how much sound one bell can produce.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The thing about shallow mouthpieces is that you don't learn efficient air usage, sometimes the shallow cup causes swelling, and usually its harder to push air through the shallow cup and tight backbore.

I'd say as a beginner you might WANT to avoid extremely shallow and deep mouthpieces until you've got a good handle on what you're doing. However, I cannot say that you MUST. I also believe the same applies to extremely large or small diameter mouthpieces. A standard all around mouthpiece really helps one to learn the basics, and after you have those under your belt, you can move from there.

Seeing as you're playing on a Schilke 14a4a, I suggest that you move to a 14c4, or some other schilke mouthpiece that has the same rim size (14) but a deeper cup (but not too deep!). I personally think at this point in your development, a Schilke C cup would be the best depth for all around playing.

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Also, have you discussed this with your teacher? I'm sure they'll agree with our sentiments and yours.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Much of the "advice" you will receive from trumpet players about mouthpieces is invalid. Often these ideas come from the old school "bigger is better" which causes more career failures than any other single thought/action alone.

Stick with the Schilke 14a4a for jazz/marching band and the 14 for concert band and it will work beautifully for you.

You might occasionally use the 14a4a for concert band on the loud/high marches.

6. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Regardless, he will need a mouthpiece to match the sound that goes with the style; in this case, a deeper cup (than what he's using) will facilitate a rounder, less penetrating sound. Though I agree that neither bigger or smaller is right just because; there should always be a reason for using whichever mouthpiece one selects.

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    We see some players excel on large and yet even more with the shallow. At least more shallow players do well from the beginning. That is if they're lucky enough to be exposed to choices.

The conventional "wisdom" of using the old Bach 7C is often wretched advice. A sharp overly deep mouthpiece cuts into the poor chap from the very beginning. And then again some players will like it. Often the advice is purely a psychological boost.

When I was a kid the private teacher told me to "buy a Bach 7C" so i did. And because I had a new mouthpiece I practiced more. Then during my high school years I vacillated between medium, shallow and very deep. Oddly enough today I use one of each now depending upon the circumstances.

One cat I know has a good upper register on a deep mouthpiece. Well at least he can play very high notes fairly easily. He does not have a very big sound though.

We sound biggest on a mouthpiece we can support. Both wind and embouchure-wise.

8. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    It has been my observation that endurance problems have little to nothing to do with the mouthpiece.......

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you don't have a private instructor, find one you can afford.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the 14A4A worked, but doesn't now, there must be a reason. If it never worked, then why are you still using it?

I consider the 14A4A to be one of the most STUPID decisions a young player can make. It is very shallow, requires a well developed embouchure and superior breathing habits, things seldom found this early in the playing career.

I do not recommend mouthpieces but have found that the standard 7C or Yamaha 11C delivered with trumpets a VERY good comprimise.

It is amazing that this stuff comes up in the middle of the school year. The problems must have been there much longer.