Switching

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by kingpep, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kingpep

kingpep New Friend

Jan 14, 2004
    What does everyone think of switching mouthpieces depending on the type of playing that's required? Does anyone do it? My teacher told me he plays a 3c for everything, and I could tell he wasn't fond of the idea, so I just let it drop, lol.

However, I have started too switch a very little bit for jazz/pep versus symphonic, although I still doing more of my playing on my symphonic piece.
    I can play either style on either mouthpiece, but it's easier to have a fuller sound on one, and easier to play in the upper register on the other.

2. Nonsense Eliminator

Nonsense Eliminator New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    I think you should talk to your teacher further. It is quite likely that he would be able to explain how he feels and why, and what he thinks you should do. If I had a student who was disregarding my advice on equipment in favour of the advice of random strangers, I might be annoyed.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    switching mouthpieces never seriously worked for me, although I have a few for the simple reason of switching being more fun

4. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have two that I use. One for lead and the other for everything else. I think that if I played all the time I would need only one but I can't do a five hour lead job on my regular piece. The two have the same rim.

I have to warm up on the one that I have to use. I can't switch once I have started playing.

I read someplace, " You would not run a race in dress shoes and you would not go to the office in sneakers".

The correct tool for the job.

6. kingpep

kingpep New Friend

Jan 14, 2004
    NonsenseEliminator-
    I'm not disregardinghis advice, I only recently began this equipment switch, and due to the snow in my area I wasn't able to go to my lesson last week, and due to my indecision about doing or not doing drum corps I will not be going to my lesson this week, so I will not have seen my teacher for a while, nor will I see him for a while, and I was looking for some advice from other trumpet players. Also, he doesn't talk about equipment unless I bring it up, which I've had no reason to do before now.

7. Nonsense Eliminator

Nonsense Eliminator New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    kingpep --

You might try phoning or emailing him. My point is that if you are going to pay somebody to teach you the trumpet, hopefully you trust him enough to seek out their advice on matters such as this. It is conceivable that there are posters here who are more knowledgeable on matters of equipment than you or your teacher. However, none of us have heard and watched you play, which means our advice isn't worth much in this case. For instance, nobody has even asked what mouthpieces you're playing on. I would give a very different answer to a student asking about switching mouthpieces if she were using a 1C vs. a 5C. It would also depend to a great extent on how developed your playing is, and what particular obstacles you are facing.

If you want generalizations, I would encourage you to do searches here and at trumpetherald.com. I am sure you will find all kinds of opinions, both for and against switching mouthpieces, and both for and against keeping the same rim. However, since you have told us that you have a teacher, I would recommend that if you want advice that is specific to you, you should talk to somebody who knows your playing.

8. kingpep

kingpep New Friend

Jan 14, 2004
    NonsenseEliminator-
    I agree with talking with him when I see him, but he doesn't work regularly at the music store he teaches at, and I don't have a way to get a hold of him. I'll just stay more on one piece until I see him again. Thanks for your help.

9. trumplyr

trumplyr Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Rochester Hills, Mi.
    kingpep,

If you're going to switch pieces for sure, my advice would be to keep the same rim size and shape. I say that because it's what I do. I don't have trouble switching from a deep flugal piece to a shallow piece for big band or pops stuff.

However, it seems to me that once again NE has hit it on the head. None of us know you or have heard or seen you play. We don't know your strengths or weaknesses. Talk to your teacher. If he's so hard to get ahold of, just wait a week or two..........or three. :lol:

Marty

10. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is what I do:

Bob Reeves 42C--For concert band, "section" big band work, daily practice, and most of my jazz combo stuff.

Bob Reeves 42B--Deeper cup. Use it for brass quintet, classical solo literature, and some of my jazz combo stuff. Very dark.

Bob Reeves 42SV69--Lead trumpet. Everything from lead big band to commercial rock stuff. Sizzles!

All of these mouthpieces have the same rim, are plated in gold, and have a 3.5 "Reeves Sleeve" (determines the mouthpiece "gap") on them. I use them for different sound, never different register. Also, I can switch easily between all three, even in one session.

My Flugel mouthpiece is a Curtois that I got when I bought the horn from my teacher. (BEAUTIFUL sounding horn!!! It's my baby.) It's really hard to switch from my Flugel and trumpet, and I'm guessing it's partly due to the mouthpiece. But I've tried other mouthpieces--including Bob Reeves flugel mouthpiece--but I just love the sound I get with the original one.

I am definately not advocating you going out and spending a $hit load of money on Bob Reeves' mouthpieces (or any other mpc for that matter), just giving you an example of how one player does it.

--Kevin