Switching

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by bigaggietrumpet, Dec 6, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, this is for you Schilke players and others who this would be similar:

I'm looking at getting a Schilke 14A4A, and a Schilke 14. The reason for two is that I can play the A4A for lead stuff, and the 14 for concert band/orchestra. However, I've never in my life switched between two mouthpieces like this before. Is this a feasible idea? Or will I do more harm to my chops than good?

2. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    As long as the rims are the same size, I don't think you'll have much trouble. Some people have a big problem switching rims. Some don't. I use a Marcinkiewicz 12.4 for lead stuff, a Bach 1 1/2C for classical playing, and a Schilke 13a4 for Pic. I don't usually have a problem, unless I have to back and forth between Pic and a big horn. Hope this helps, I know I gave more info than you asked for.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I agree .... I have trouble when I move to a smaller mouthpiece or a bigger rim mouthpiece. But if they are close, I have little trouble. A guy a play with in the community band will switch mouthpieces in the middle of a chart. And not minor changes. 3 bars rest he may pop in one of three different mouthpieces. He has drilled holes in his mute holder to hold different mouthpieces.

It works for him.

If you don't have a 14a4a, send me a PM. I have one in the store that I would love to let someone have for cheap just to get it out of here.

Jim

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had a lot of trouble switching back and forth at one time. Back when I was playing Latin Band, I was trying to switch back and forth on the gig - a high part would come up and I'd jam that 14A4a in there and go for it. The trouble was, this was an extremely hit or miss proposition and I had problems trying to stay on the 14A4a. Then it happend.

I had gone to the gig one night only to find that I didn't have my normal mouthpiece, just the 14A4a. :shock: I didn't have time to go get my other mouthpiece either so I made due with the 14A4a. I struggled for most of the gig, but then, toward the end, I was able to use it. Two of my Army band buddies suggested that I go cold turkey to the 14A4a on the Latin gigs, that I would be better off in the end. I did, my chops quickly adapted and that was that. I haven't had trouble going back and forth since then, although I will say that I lost a bit of accuracy doing legit by doing this. In my mind it was a small price to pay for not having to work my butt off to get through the gig anymore.

I say to go for it. If you can, play only the 14A4a for like 3 weeks. You will be able to switch back and forth in no time.

5. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use:

Bob Reeves 42C for most of my practicing, concert band, big band section playing.

Bob Reeves 42 B for brass quintet, taps, and jazz combo stuff.

Bob Reeves 42SV69 for lead and rock stuff.

I don't use these as a "crutch" to play higher or get a better response, etc. Each mp has a distinctive SOUND... because at the end of the day, that's what it's ALL about: SOUND.

--Kevin