swolen lips? worried....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, May 10, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well... this weekend, i played the evening of jazz... i did some hard playing, but nothing more than usual.... the next day i triedto play, and i wasnt consistent so i just put it away after about fifteen minutes, it felt like my chops didnt want to respond, a usual after gig feeling for me, however, to day i got my horn out and played for a good half hour or so, and it just would respond, a a stff d was the most consistent note i could get up to, which is not usual, my mom said, before i even started playing, that she thought my lips were swolen. after playing i looked in the mirror and saw that there were some ridges that were deeper than my usual ridges are for my emboucher, im a bit freaked out right now and scared cuz i keep reading stories about bad things that happend to trumpet players, ive been playin alot but not to the pint of hard core fatigue, just enough to help my self build up, does any one know if this is serious or not... i ate mexican food the night before and my mom thinks i mimght have had an allergic reaction... thanks, and i hope this is not serious...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LTG,
    swelling is how our bodies deal with abuse of muscle tissue. It is there to protect and aid the healing process as well as a very obvious sign that we have overdone something.

In you case, I would be a bit worried as you say the usual "after gig feeling" is that things don't work well. This could very well be a consistent "beating up" of the face! Not good for you or this hobby.

Solution: don't practice on gig days, play with less force, let other players have more chorus time, stay hydrated.

There will be some here that recommend anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen, my take is, solve the problem, don't try and trick you body into taking more than your practice has earned you. There will always be times that are exceptions to the rule, once you make them "usual" you start to dig your grave.

Practice smart, play smart. If you do, you will be able to intelligently work the inconveniences out.

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    well... with school, i play every day, except saturday and sunday, in which i practice on my own or gig... my teacher had us practice any ways, we only had four charts, although they were pretty demanding, i played a shake at the end of the last chat which was channel one... it was rough.. mainly cuz i practiced pretty hard up unil the gig... i usually try to take it to the point where i cant play... i guess i shouldnt do that, but i always keep thinking of what marsalis father said something about if the others practice 3-4 hours a day, than he needed to play 5-6 hours a day... i usually dont play the day after a gig because a gig is usually the last day of the week, so i give it a daybreak to "heal up"... this whole practice hard all week then sundays off is my own theory.... i dont know what else i should be doing. it seemed to be working up until now thought... right now it feels like my lips are warmer than usual, im 90 % sure im over reacting however, idk. also, i feel like i should take a break, but i know that my teacher will still have me play tommorow... im so confuzed...
    very true bout what you said with practicing as well... i do way over do my self, mainly because the teacher expects that of me... as of right now... should i take ibuprofen?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, do you by any chance drink any energy drinks? I've had some lip swelling in the past, which I associate with the aluminium and whatever coating that goes with it. Try Starbucks, and see if that helps.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You should NOT take anything. You need to get your playing life in order. Tearing yourself down physically every day is just not smart.
    If the teacher expects you to kill yourself, then you need to seriously think about that relationship.
    An unintelligent playing schedule hinders your development. You need to make sure that this changes. There are various strategies for development. My personal one is to NOT beat myself up on practice days if I know there is a killer gig coming up. My rule of thumb is 3 to one - one "too heavy" day to 3 solid but sensible days. At least one day a month for non-trumpet activity (you can warm up on that day and play some tunes, but NO heavy duty stuff!
    Every time that you play on dead chops, you do not improve, at best you maintain status quo. There is also the danger of twisting the chops to squeeze stuff out - that turns into habits very easily.
    Slow down before you fall down!

6. Cleveland600 1974

Cleveland600 1974 New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    Houston TX
    I knew guys who had these "Play until you bleed and DROP" practice schedules--and one of two things would happen: Either they would realize that this was not gonna work and completely revised their routine OR they get completely frustrated due to lack of progress/being in PAIN all the time and quit. Talk it over with your teacher and get his input. Pace yourself and have an activity that you enjoy away from that horn. Good Luck !

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    sorry rowuk, i took the medicine without reading your post, however, i know its the lesson that is to be learned here... i bring my horn home on a daily basis and play, unless i have an after school practice, at school i have two 1 hour classes, i didnt think that was too much... i guess i dont really know what to do, my lips felt better today and i played soft, i didnt bring my horn home today either soi wouldnt tempt myself to play... i do warm up and stuff, ive learned to like long tones and lip slurs, however, i guess the real problem here is balancing my schedual... i just bought guitar hero, so that should keep me occupied...

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try playing with as little arm pressure as possible, let you're air do the work! Unfortunately with today's economy there's not as much work as there used to be ,but at one time I was working 5 nights during the week and 2 or 3 gigs on the weekends all playing lead and 4 hours long with a big band and never suffered with lip swelling unless I used a little too much pressure , so no matter how little you think you use , use less.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are not going to die when you take ibu. The real issue is you getting better by reinforcing the building process instead of supporting the tear down processes. Treat yourself to something special to "ease" the sacrifice of an hour less horn a couple of days a week. Getting a life outside the trumpet can offer a lot of creative inspiration too. Just don't spend all of the time left over on the computer!

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Just an outside thought - (probably not your problem, but..)

I knew a guy who developed an allergy to silver and brass. Had to get his horn and mouthpiece gold-plated. If it contues, you might consider an allergist.