Swollen Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep... Heat gets the blood flowing similarly to massage. Anything that gets the lactic acid out of the tissue is good for endurance and prevents oxidative stress.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I agree that you have to stress the chops to build them up and in the pro world you have to be able to handle hours at a time. However 12 hours (45 min lunch) for a junior in high school seems unreasonable. Especially when he had to knock out 5 more hours after a 12 hour break. In looking back in all the playing I did, probably one day in HS was the longest. We had put in 2 1/2 hours during the day. Then, Kenton brought us his new and not yet recorded McArthur's Park. We (jazz band),started rehearsal at 5 and went to 11:30 to be able to play it in a national completion the next evening. Thank God it was a long 7-8 hour bus ride to the site or it probably would have been worse.

3. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    You can also make a horse sound, by blowing very slowly, this gets the lactic acid out, and is deadly between songs, if you don't have iced water. Another trick is to have an ice pack.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Use some kind of coolant while playing - an iced drink is perfect; for me, Coke actually will help restore embouchure. and immediately you stop playing, apply Blistex lip balm.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm with Tony on this one. I like a hot shower with the water running very warm right at my face. I'd be more descriptive but this isn't the Penthouse Forum.

ed

6. practiceDaily

practiceDaily New Friend

Dec 13, 2012
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Don't think, I don't think that was abusive on your son and the rest of those kids. I actually think those directors are a bunch of idiots for that weekend. But it's part of the learning curve, cause you know a lot of music directors on the pro end have the same trait. They don't give a hoot. Can't cut it....next up!

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    You probably already know this, but beware alcohol, salty things, and spicy things. Unfortunately the three tend to go together a lot of the time :roll:

If it's an early morning rehearsal, maybe waking up earlier could help. I usually sound better after I've been up for a few hours.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, think I am the only one that uses the horse lip flop sound (they say it means "lets be friends in horse language, but that is another story). Have never seen any of the other players in this area do so, even when experiencing taxed chops.

Okay, now that I'm thinking about what to do for worn chops, I wonder if some practices work against helping.

First, if lactic acid is building up in lip muscles -in the cells I assume- one would think that warm, not cold, would increase blood flow to remove it. Cold would slow the process, right?

Warm tends to increase swelling right after a sprain, so ice is used. Think the old rule was ice for 24 hours, then warm.

Maybe a doc could help clear up the thought/logic process here.

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Swelling is due to inflammation and caused by inflammatory mediators like prostaglandins and not by lactic acid. Cool compresses reduce swelling, in part, by constricting blood vessels and reducing the available inflammatory mediators called to the scene. Heat is used to increase blood flow and typically best for "loosening up" muscles or treating chronic pain. Cold compresses are typically recommended after physical activity and/or injuries and warm for treating chronic conditions. Not all people, however, seem to respond the same.:-)

10. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    I heard from a physio that cold compression followed by hot compression, is good for swells. I have an on going problem with my ankles, and they recommended that i put my foot in hot water for 5 minutes then into cold water for 5 minutes and repeat 5 times. I guess this would be the equivalent to taking it in turns to drink iced water followed by hot coffee ect.

:shock: