Swollen Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 23, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lactic acid is a precursor to damage. If this stays in the are and anaerobic metabolic does not convert to aerobic metabolism (by getting more oxygen to the tissue) then strain sets in. Before strain sets in heat IS the best methodology as recommended by Kadleck. This promotes active blood flow to move precursor acids out of the area and to bring red cells delivering oxygen into the area. Massage also stimulates this AND helps remove edema that develops in the area due to stasis. Once inflammatory mediators arrive as mentioned by vern (actually off the ppargamma genome that begat the prostaglandin reaction), then this is the time to ice the area, to minimize the ongoing mediator release and inflammatory cellular response.

Case in point. Last evening at our gig at the Nighttown in Cleveland, our bassist opened a door to the club with ONLY his third digit on the right hand. He heard a pop at his wrist, and then had pain going up into his third finger. After examining his extrinsic and extrinsic tendon function on his right hand and the tendon sheath for sprain proximal to his wrist, I determined his tendon was intact, without sprain, but rather he had compressed his tendon/nerve sheath in his carpel tunnel... This is damage, with inflammatory mediator release to soon follow as precursor to extending injury to this tight sheath. So I had him ice the wrist with massaging motion for 15 minutes. The pain immediately resided, there was no residual swelling, and he was able to strum his bass strings with full capacity for two solid hours.

The good news, our bassist band leader was immediately treated to prevent ANY inflammatory damage; The bad news... He made the rest of the quintet play through the ENTIRE performance of two sets WITHOUT any break because he was feeling so good. I had to apologize tor the rest of the band for being such a damn good doctor. I know... it's a gift. I mean how many other bands get to have their trumpet player serve as there professional position. Other than TrumpetMD and myself... this virtue may be limited. I cannot speak for Mike, but I am available at a reasonable fee. Most medical insurance providers accepted. Don't leave home for a gig without us!

2. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Classical Type two, so that sucks for injuries, I wonder if there are any positives at all?:roll:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe there is if your flexible.:-?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    when I practice trumpet -- I switch to the trombone and get some practice in on that --- seems to help massage, and loosen the lips to prevent swelling --- hey, I am just saying, if anyone wants to double maybe a trombone would be the thing (James Morrison, Maynard Ferguson) they might have found the same thing!!!???? as they were doublers on both

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks. Very informative. So you went with cold and massage right after the injury occurred. What about after a long playing workout where the strain or injury might have started sometime before and lactic acid has probably built up? Figure massage would be good. Warm or cold?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If strain (injury) happened before lactic acid builds up... we are talking about muscle tear. This is not good. If scar forms, this my remodel the original muscle that made up the embouchure. To AVOID this situation, again massage before this happens. A warning sing of impending tear (strain) is loosing control of notes and accuracy. If a tear or injury occurs. Rest... Much rest and cut performance activity by AT LEAST 50% and if there is pain... stop entirely.

At his point massage the area and rub in vitamin E from BEHIND the lip.... and message again. At this point, neither heat nor cold will minimize the damage... Just antioxidants (vitamin E) and getting blood flow into the area (message) to promote healing.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A hot shower with the spray on the lips. The horse thing works well too. Beer, aspirin and sleep. I'll see if Doc concurs, but in extreme cases (like actual bruising) DMSO is supposed to help. I got dosed at a Grateful Dead concert with a combination of DMSO and liquid LSD and woke up in a tent in Northern Oregon. No bruises though.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    DMSO is noted to improve muscle strain; however, it will leave you with fart breath and this does not bode kindly for the ladies... albeit it does keep away them vampires and viola players... which may be one in the same... come to think of it.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey, not to go "all political" on you and such -- but VB if you were a DEAD HEAD, and have been introduced to certain hallucinogenic substances --- aren't you supposed to be leading the country by NOW??? ROFL ROFL ROFL -- or at least be a college professor!!!??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm a moderator at TM. What more could a guy want? What more does this world need?