Swollen lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Apr 13, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hi Branson,
    You stated:
    You need more oxygen in your lips.
    ---------------
    Hi Branson,
    In classic Dr.Mark style, this statement is highly accurate, but we don't have to go to the dark side (of trombone equipment) to achieve success. Getting oxygen to the lip is a physiological process, not an equipment fix. Blood flow is essential, as that is where the oxygen is found. In so doing we optimize aerobic metabolism. However whatever size mouthpiece you use, and what ever pressure is used, blood flow will be diminished into the region behind the mouthpiece. The bigger the mouthpiece, the bigger the region involved. So to correct for these mechanical responses: massage the lip often. This gets the lactic acid out (from anaerobic metabolism that results from the blockage of blood flow) which has it's own damaging effects, and minimizes swelling to enhance blood flow (and as you stated, enhances "oxygen delivery") into the tissue.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Gary

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bobby Shew advocates "fluttering" the lips to increase blood flow. Another warm-down tick is to play a note like G or so below the staff and simultaneously sing almost the same note while playing. The resulting slow beats are like a nice massage. No trombone needed.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "Now if you are just having swelling of the lips AND your significant other finds you a better kisser as a result, well then, Don't Change a Thing. Swelling is a reaction to muscles being taken to a full workout. Athletes will feel the tightness in their muscles the day after an excellent work out. So what do they do? The WARM UP WELL with stretching exercises, and go after it again the NEXT DAY. Why should a good work out with lip muscles be and feel any different? The answer: THE SHOULD FEEL THE SAME.
    ---
    I don't disagree but I wonder if this applies to the situation at hand. This is a situation where just the top portion of the lip is being effected. When we play, we notice a healthy increase in the size of our lips as if they are pumped up and ready to work, just like a weight lifter's arms become pumped. I think the op's situation is something different. If I'm correct, then they will have to learn how to do some basic things before they can appriciate the effect of the lips being pumped from health use verses as tobylou8 so correctly stated :swelling is almost always the result of excessive mouthpiece pressure
    There's a profound difference between pumped (indication of more blood/oxygen flow) and swollen (indication of possible trauma). Our entire lip becomes pumped, the op's upper lip is swollen.
    Dr.Mark

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    You stated:
    "Bobby Shew advocates "fluttering" the lips to increase blood flow."
    ---
    I've done this for decades and it works for me. I also use a digerido which is great for learning circle breathing and it makes the lips feel great!!
    Dr.Mark