Sydney Baker 1921-2010

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tromj, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Fellow Trumpeters,

I regret to inform you of the passing of one of the great NYC trumpeters, Sydney Baker.
    He passed away yesterday, the funeral was today. Syd was born in 1921 in NYC. He entered Juilliard at the age of 15 and served as Principal Trumpet in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1941 before entering the Army in WW2, where he played in various Army Air Corps ensembles. After the war, he came to NY, where he enjoyed an active career as a performer and educator, after having gone back to school and gotten degrees in Education. He was a beloved mentor to three generations of trumpet players, including Ray Vega and Manny Laureano, and after retiring from performing, pursued a variety of other musical activities, including recorder ensembles, choral singing, and becoming a cantor and Torah reader at his local synagogue, the study of which he took up at age 69. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Wendy, and numerous children and grandchildren.

May his memory be a blessing.

Jordan Hirsch

2. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Syd Baker assumed the solo chair with the Goldman Band upon the retirement of Jimmy Burke. The James F. Burke Tribute Page - Goldman's Soloists

I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Baker a few years ago while researching the Goldman Band cornet soloists. He was a pleasure to speak with and most helpful in my research. He will be missed. RIP.