Sylvia Olden Lee Kathleen Battle Wynton Marsalias

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Richard Oliver, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I just found this about 2 weeks ago. On Trumpet Herald, found a Summer 2003 thread about the DVD. Let me set the scene: they're fixing to record some great Baroque music. Wynton has Bill Fielder in his corner. See 1 installment back -- #5. And Battle has Lee.

Well, trumpet and voices, there's just so much about this clip that goes both ways. I've be unable to find the documentrary about Sylvia. It's out there somewhere. So if someone can steer me to it, please do.

This is from about 20 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebsJR7USVnw

2. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    And Robin, if you catch this thread, Lee's "See you breathe everywhere you have to. And every time you breathe where you have to, there's another place in the tune (or "until") where you ought to and you've got just as much time" reminds me of you.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Richard,
    yeah, I know. Back then young players didn't argue about it either.

Unfortunately, the YouTube is blocked. Germany has an iron grip on copyrighted material.

Somewhere in the interview there is a comment about the Bach Cantata 51 "Praise the Lord O ye Lands" where Wynton says that finding the Lord can be tough in New York..... I think about me there too.............

4. Richard Oliver

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Yes; it's on that clip.