Sympathy for the less fortunate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Keep that in mind!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    OP,

that's one piece of conceit more suited to a sax player...

sorry, just had to say it. Have fun with your Harrelson.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Whatever. Maybe if you had been down the road I have you might see things like I do, but feel free to simply
    label me conceited if you find my enthusiasm for my trumpet builder to be offensive if it makes you feel better.

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have French Besson (Stamm) and a Lawler flugel. I have one mouthpiece for each. I am happy for the time being.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I don't find your enthusiasm offensive - that is ok. If you're happy with your Harrelson - fine. Satisfaction in your horn usually leads to better playing, and that always is to be welcomed.
    What I really think is offensive is your insistence that anyone else is "unfortunate", i.e. inferior.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Gzent - DUDE!!!, I totally agree with you and feel bad for all those poor saps who can't do it all on ONE trumpet - after all - I'm KINGTRUMPET AND THE ONLY TRUMPET I NEED IS THE SILVER FLAIR 1055 ---- mmmmm, now that we are in agreement about only needing ONE TRUMPET - I send my sympathies to you, as you apparently chose the "WRONG ONE" - ROFL ROFL ROFL - I'm so sorry for your NEW dilemma ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    :cool: yes sir - KT showing his sympathetic abilities to comfort his fellow Trumpet playing peeps - KT showing his kind and compassionate side - :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm fortunate to be learning on a WT, and don't forsee ever needing to buy another trumpet for the rest of my life.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I do not equate an unfortunate person with an inferior person and don't see how that came across.

I believe, as a Harrelson client, I am more fortunate than others because:
    1) I put aside my initial closed minded attitude to being different and actually tried out a very unusual trumpet
    2) I was able to easily perceive the improvement in my ability to make music with said trumpet
    3) I could afford to buy said trumpet
    4) I don't have a need to own 'n' trumpets to achieve the performance I want
    5) I have a supplier that understands and advances the science of building trumpets and therefore
    have a positive anticipation of new models that will exceed the performance of current models

However, being more fortunate does not make one superior, better, etc., just the recipient of something better.

Maybe there is a language issue here?

Greg

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Maybe. It was an unusual way of saying that you are glad you found the one. Could be jacket, shoes, or spouse. Anything that fits you so well that you can't entertain thoughts of anything different. I had that epiphany with the Giardinelli 10S mouthpiece I'm playing. Fits me and my horns so well it's astonishing... as in it astonished me and my friend Eric when we heard it.

Greg has the "misfortune" of finding the one in a horn that most people see as excessive and unnecessary, so they make fun of it. (Disclaimer: I've played two Harrelsons. Liked my other horns better.)

But it's still the one and he's happy with it. That's what I understood him to say and that's why I responded as I did, because I knew what he meant.

Tom