Sympathy for the less fortunate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jan 7, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks Tom.

One point of clarification - while I have found "the one", I am expecting that it will be surpassed soon by Jason's next generation
    of trumpets. This is similar to what happens in most industries, older models are surpassed by newer models.

I have always found it a bit odd that so many musicians do not think newer models of their instrument can surpass older models.

I guess maybe its because there is so much subjectivity in the art of making music.

Greg

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In my case, the company doesn't exist any more. :-)

And, interestingly enough, the older models are (in my opinion) better than a lot of the newer models. There seems to be a time period where the playing philosophy changed from efficiency to pushing a lot of air, because the horns kept getting bigger and freer.

In any event, I have my small collection of horns that are fun to play... I just need more work on playing them better.

Tom

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, it's sad when companies stop focusing on innovating and drift off into other goals, like getting bigger,
    making more money, etc. And they all seem to go through it, Bach, Benge, Buescher, Conn, Olds, etc...

4. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    "Multiple horns to play their best" ? I don't get it- like one for low notes, one for high notes? Are all the other horns besides Harrelson's so bad that the average guy can play Sousa on one but has to switch to play Salsa?
    I only have 2 horns, but please don't feel sorry for me (until you hear me play). Mine can play better than I do.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Well, in Buescher's case they were innovating... they just weren't making enough money to keep the doors open. WWII saved them somewhat in that they were making Kollman altimeters, and I believe were still making them in the Korean War era (as evidenced by 1952 contract dates on the name plate), but eventually that source of income dried up. They were always a small company anyways, a few blocks away from Conn, who produced ten times the number of instruments. Couple that with a lack of business sense, and you can't afford to keep the doors open. Getting bought by Selmer kept things going for a while, but their once-unique instruments were cheapened and even redesigned by Vincent Bach, and that was it. The true end was when they stopped making their own instruments altogether. The late Buescher Aristocrat was a Bundy with another name on it.

I was lucky in that I was given my grandfather's 400 trumpet to learn on, which ignited my passion to learn more about the Buescher trumpets and purchase some exciting, significant examples. There is not a lot of information around about Buescher's trumpets, but I try to share what I find. Extremely rare today, when you come across one in good condition... it's generally worth buying just for the unique experience.

Tom

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I can't play everything on one horn with equal quality. I don't like the sound of the Brandenburg#2 on my Monette Prana 3, the sound of Tchaikowsky 4 on my picc or the difficulty of the Bozza Caprice, Hummel Concerto or Arban Carnaval of Venice on my natural trumpet.

I think that the amount of horns required for a player depends on their personal playing goals. You can get a lot of mileage by specializing and then you may in fact only need one horn. If you want "it all" then you need not only the hardware but the time, drive and talent to make everything work.

My students have easy access to my instruments (well, most of them) but they have to earn that by declaring what their goal is and then working with me to reach that goal. I know a lot of teachers with the same attitude.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm not talking about playing "everything" on one horn. I was talking about playing all Bb trumpet parts on my Summit.
    Sorry, if there was confusion. It's obvious that you need to use the proper horn for the part, i.e., Bb trumpet, C trumpet,
    piccolo, flugelhorn, cornet, etc.

And what I said was "to achieve their best". Meaning, if you are playing in a rock band you need to do your "best" to achieve a different style than when playing
    in an orchestra or a quintet and so on. My horn allows me to "fine tune" my style and timbre far more easily than other horns I've owned
    and/or tested out. That ability to "fine tune" coupled with the inherent excellence of the instrument precludes the need to have
    multiple horns based on the style of music on my stand.

Let me just add, I don't expect most people to believe me, because I didn't believe the "hype" when I first read about
    Harrelson trumpets. I had to actually play one and then own one to fully appreciate that these horns are indeed a step
    above conventional horns.

So, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, other than to ask yourself what reason you have to dismiss the possibility
    that these horns are as good as their owners claim? Is it based on fear, jealousy, conceit, or some other negative emotion,
    or is it based on something useful like valid experience with these instruments?

Claiming to know that Harrelson trumpets are all hype, without proper experience, would be like commenting on the merits
    of a C trumpet when you have never played one. There is that much difference between these horns and conventional horns.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think if we're fortunate enough to get to try a variety of equipment and keep our minds open, we are likely to find what works best for our needs. My A1, F2, and ACB mouthpieces have been a really fabulous change for me! I wish I could have found them years ago - I feel more solid with everything I do than I have in years. We are fortunate that there are currently so many great brands to choose from - some old and some new, but many with a real drive to make a great product. Congrats on finding a good match - I hope you enjoy yours for years to come! I am certainly enjoying mine :)

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gzent,
    I read your post and I think you definately deserve a big smiley face! If your playing is as good as your kindness, you're one hell of a performer.
    Two Thumbs Up!!!
    Dr.Mark

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Humans are prone to weird ideas. "The best trumpet is the one I play, just as the best car is the car I drive, just as the best food is the food I eat...."
    Pretty silly.

However, the best forum is Trumpetmaster because that's where I moderate.