Sympathy for the less fortunate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jan 7, 2014.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And because you moderate in moderation. Not too little, or too much - just enough. The ray does the rest.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, thanks Dr. Mark!

I'm OK. I think if I had to I could make a living playing the trumpet with about a year's worth of weekly lessons from
    a good pro to learn what I don't know. Well, that and major luck to find a good paying gig.

Could I get a spot in a top tier orchestra? No way, and that wouldn't be my bag anyway.
    The few times I've subbed in an orchestra I could tell it wasn't the brass that were the attraction, or perhaps,
    the brass seemed like an after-thought? Don't know, just didn't seem like something I'd enjoy at any rate.

The classic horn/rock bands are my favorite, as well as playing 2 book in a big band, cause that's where all the
    improv. solos are, my strength, I suppose.

Although, I really enjoy my quintet, but I'd guess there are only a handful of quintets in N. America that make enough
    $ to live on. But, again, there are 1000's of great players out there that all want to do the same thing. It takes some
    serious cajones to dedicate oneself to being a pro trumpet player these days.

If I didn't need the money I would perhaps give it a shot, but I'm too old to compete with the young guns without a
    safety net...plus the wife wouldn't tolerate me being away from home all the time. It's busy enough being in 4 groups.

It would be real fun to meet the TM folks behind the screens some day and share stories and beverages.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Once again, VB knows exactly the right comment. Were you a shrink in another life?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes - we have several community band members who are in 4 or 5 different groups - there are at least 2 out of the 7 I know could be pros - but age and a comfy homelife have taken that away from being an option. Two of them have been on a couple of CD's, but that's as far as they want to persue the pro part of music - both told me - they are happy with volunteering for community bands, jazz bands, local small groups and such

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Send me $50 and I'll let you know!

From what I understand of reincarnation, some claim that once a male, always a male. I could have moved up from a violist, or down from a....a....come to think of it, trumpeters are at the top of the heap. If I'm not careful I'll come back as a urologist.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Now me - music is hard for me - but I still enjoy it - a local community band is going to play my recent full band score in a spring concert - that may be my finest moment ever in music - it was tough getting to this point. - the point I'm making is old or not - try to enjoy wherever you are in music and help others achieve their goals also

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    On TM I've tried to share what I have learned, even though I've learned more than I've taught.
    This forum is priceless for the "part time" trumpet geek.

VB: $50 ? What, that will get you like 10 minutes with a shrink?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Bob is a unique treasure!ROFL

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Just a knee-jerk reaction to a moderately, possibly unintentionally, insulting original post, Greg. I'm glad you've found the instrument that meets all your musical needs. Hope it continues to do so for many years to come.