Sympathy for the less fortunate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jan 7, 2014.

1. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    No need. My statement is an absolute, undeniable fact...... :lol:

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've played a Wild Thing. It's ok. Plays a lot like a Buescher Model 217 Lightweight 400... 50 years older.

Tom

3. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Except the Wild Thing is better..................... :D

4. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You pay postage each way and escrow replacement cost... and you can try it for yourself.

Or come to the Chicago Trumpet Hang. I'll figure out some way to get you from the airport.

Tom

5. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    So what motivation would I have to change from the horn that fits me so well it is as if it was made for the way I personally play trumpet? The whole point of my post was that when a player finds the perfect horn for themselves, they gush about it and like it more and more each time they play it, and that discovery is a VERY individual thing. You have been playing your Bueschers for a long time now and what you liked about the Wild Thing was it played similar to a Buescher. However, you still liked the Buescher better, meaning they two horns played just a little differently. Since the Buescher and the Wild Thing are a little different, and the Wild Thing is the perfect horn for me, then it follows that the Buescher would be as good for me.

I no longer have any interest in even trying other horns. Such to the point that both my primary and back up horns are Wild Things. That way I have to make no change in how I am playing to adapt to a different horn. My sole focus now is how to play my Wild Thing better................

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    My only point is that your Wild Thing has been done before, is all. No wanting you to change.

Tom

7. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    But not exactly........................

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back to the Vulgano truism--the right instrument finds us.

9. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Well said!!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Perhaps this whole "argument" is pure stupidity (from all angles)?

I will explain. I can generally tell a lot about a players true accomplishments by reading their posting. Those that "get it" do not describe hardware or technique as primary attributes, rather the PROCESS that starts when those things become secondary. Many times we get questions that are significant, but the context is such that 1) the questions were asked to be inflammatory 2) the poster is not capable of understanding the answer 3) an open internet forum is not suited for the one on one situation to answer it. Like this thread, we get off track and the pissing starts.

My take:
    1) what we currently have gets the current job done
    2) we need to carefully define WHAT is missing before we make a functional change
    3) Collecting has NOTHING to do with playing
    4) someone else is always there that can play better - regardless of hardware
    5) if we get hung up on hardware discussions, we are fully missing the point

So, before we continue with rather dumb, not process oriented "opinions", why not focus on the less fortunate - those that have use cases that would deserve ADDITIONAL instruments, but can't afford them. There are options that do not require replacing the primary axe! This post is NOT pointed at GZENT, afp or any other specific Trumpetmaster member, rather all hardware geeks without a process for continual development. Our emotions need to be pointed towards our own playing, not others "opinions".

This being said, the Harrelson, Monette, WildThing, Bach, Yamaha, Mao Tse Tung, .... branded horns are all the same: dead hunks of metal with magical properties attached for those capable of finding them.